1st Class stamp prices for Large Letters (up to 100g) remain unchanged at 90p
  2nd Class stamp prices for Letters remain unchanged at 50p
  2nd Class stamp prices for Large Letters (up to 100g) remain unchanged at 69p
Full list of price changes
23 REPLIES
shalom2010
Grafter

Re: Royal Mail Price Changes April 2013

It's good I bought 12 2nd class stamps - that'll last me a year or two. Who sends letters anyway (apart from business's & junk mail?)
Steve
Pro

Me, but not very often.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

SWMBO used to send a fair number of Christmas cards via royal mail but this year we found it cheaper to drive around and hand deliver them ! Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Same as steve - I send letters sometimes but not often. I do most stuff online now but sometimes you still have to use the red box. I'm not keen on going to the PO though as it's always a hassle in thw town centre but having said that I've just remembered there is a smaller independent one near us that I keep forgetting exists (with free parking too - all those times I've taken the risk in the loading bay lol).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I get through about 150 to 200 per year so I buy them in 100 books - usually 200 before price rises
Community Veteran

I get through about 50 with Christmas cards but apart from that I don't use more than about 10 a year. Not many people use stamps these days.
Fixes: 121

Quote from: shalom2010
Who sends letters anyway...

I posted 3 this morning. One was a form to DWP where their online system failed me (thankfully pre-paid). Another was a PoA document to a bank where fax/email would not suffice and the third to another bank, once again, where they wouldn't accept fax/email.
Probably be another 6 months/year before I have to send any more (Christmas excepted).

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I run my own small business selling low valued items and the Royal Mail prices have now overtaken the value of the goods inside.
The irony is that I can get an item sent from China and for their postage to me they pay a third of what I have to pay to get the same item to the next town Sad
Community Veteran

It's a strange way to run a business where your price rises only seem to have the effect of making your rivals services into viable alternatives.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yep, rather like the public BT phones.
No-one uses them anymore, because we all have mobiles.
Rather than making them cost effective, how about upping the minimum to charge to 60p and having a sign saying 'you can't use more than four coins to pay for it'?
I'm surprised people don't use them.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Last BT phone box I tried to use was quite literally half buried in a bush. It worked (just) but the amount of spiders in there was enough to put most folk off trying it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Reminds me of a middle of nowhere pub's loo I once used. It was virtually just a shed at the back of their car park (gravelly patch).
You stood there being entertained watching the swallows flying in and out the door and the huge moths everywhere. Then you noticed the equally huge spiders dining on them just above your head. Like the spiders in your house the ones with the long invisibly thin legs. Except these were much bigger versions with bodies the size of small grapes.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Alex
Yep, rather like the public BT phones.
No-one uses them anymore, because we all have mobiles.
Rather than making them cost effective, how about upping the minimum to charge to 60p and having a sign saying 'you can't use more than four coins to pay for it'?
I'm surprised people don't use them.
People do use some BT Public phones as there are certain areas in the country, in particular the Lake District where it is impossible to get a mobile signal and in some remote locations it could be a matter of life and death if you have no mobile signal and the local BT Phonebox has been vandalized.
I Accept however that BT are likely to be out of pocket keeping these boxes in working order as few people use them.
Fixes: 121

Quote from: gleneagles
People do use some BT Public phones

Apparently they're still used in New York and they're trying to increase their use.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still