cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Root Canal Treatment, don't wait too long between visits!

Community Veteran

Root Canal Treatment, don't wait too long between visits!

Was at the dentist a few months ago for the first stage of root canal treatment on a molar that was in very bad shape. The treatment was going to take 3 visits as there is 4 canals.
First visit was tough going and the dentist put a temporary dressing sealing  the tooth and told me it would only last 6-8 weeks so I would have to come back for the second visit quite soon after.
Since then I got paid off for a couple of months among other things so never thought much about making that second appoinment. On Saturday night in the pub I noticed with my tounge that the temporary dressing was all but gone. By yesterday the bacteria had found their way into an exposed canal and set up home in my jaw bone. They were really making their presence known all night so after no sleep and the fear of overdosing on ibuprofen I phoned into work sick and phoned the dentist and begged them to see me today. I was lucky to get seen this afternoon. He cleaned out the canals again, sealed it up, this time with filling material to last longer. He also prescribed some antibiotics.
This time I have learned my lesson so have already booked and part paid for the next appointment. Let this be a lesson to anyone else, don't put off dental appointments just because the pain has gone temporarily, it will return with a vengence!
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Root Canal Treatment, don't wait too long between visits!

why is your dentist making you hang around for so long?  i had root canal treatment years ago and my dentist bunged it all together in one go.  i had a temporary filling while a crown was made for another tooth, but that's a different procedure.
csogilvie
Grafter

I have to say I agree with Sean... as some of my ex-colleagues in Web Dev will testify when I ended up with toothache, and trips to a very nice (and apparently well connected) dentist in Sheffield.
Community Veteran

The first stage of the root canal treatment took over an hour and that was only the first 2 of the 4 canals. Don't think I would want to sit through the whole thing in one go nor would my dentist expect me to.
The amount of work involved for the dentist is different with each person but generally from what I have read it will take 2 visits for molars which usually have 3 canals. Mine has 4.
I had root canal treatment done on one of my front teeth as a teenager after a bicycle accident damaged the tooth. That was a much more straight forward, faster procedure as there was only 1 canal.
Having the treatment over several visits also gives me the option to pay a bit each time.
Community Veteran

When I had root canal treatment I had a temporary filling then went bakc a few weeks later to have it completed.  From memory it was about £170-180 and that was NHS.
Just got back from my 6 monthly check-up this afternoon.  Got away with £16.50 but for the past couple of visits the dentist keeps mentioning that I'll need a cap at some point - more money I guess Sad
Community Veteran

ouch!  mine must have been an easy one.  dentists are coining it these days, aren't they?
Fixes: 47

I did hear that on retirement Premiership footballers are going into dentistry to maintain their lifestyle Tongue
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Pulling our legs not our teeth I think Grin
Community Veteran

My dentist is private so I am paying £350 for all the root canal visits and the filling at the end. This will eventually be replaced with a crown allowing enough time to be sure the root canal treatment does not fail.
Once my teeth are back to healthy condition I am joining a monthly plan with my dentist to cover all checkups, cleaning etc. Should have done this years ago instead of waiting 10 years for the pain and expence to come!
Community Veteran

Luckily I had my most recent root filling done by a truly excellent NHS dentist - all done with a period of about 3 weeks from 1st emergency appointment to final fitting. And the crown has  lasted very well with no problems.
About time the Dentists who even with uni tuition fees - are still trained with NHS ( our ) money and facilities must sign up to work for NHS for a fixexed contract period.
And bring Dentistry back fully into the NHS.
Have joint GP/Dentist premises then all the admin can be done in one place and not duplicated.
It makes no sense to me to have a mouth problem, treated by a doctor of medicine and the teeth treated by a doctor of dentistry.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: mal0z
It makes no sense to me to have a mouth problem, treated by a doctor of medicine and the teeth treated by a doctor of dentistry.

I agree with you 100%, I need to get a new NHS dentist, my dentist has gone private, I need a tooth pulling out, and I hate needles.
James
Grafter

Given my motrbid fear of needles (near my gums!) I've not been since 1997 Sad
Denzil
Grafter

I have always thought the answer was obvious. The problem is that most dentists are self employed, so they are free to choose whether they work for the NHS. The solution has to be for the NHS to employ more dentists directly.
This has been a huge problem around here, with very few dentists in the South West taking on new NHS patients. However, I have recently found one! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Yes, after about ten years with no dentist I found a local NHS outfit with a few gaps in the books. Just as well, because I have had some problems with an old filling, and the emergency dentist could only do a temporary job. With any luck it has been done properly now.
itsme
Grafter

Thought the problem was that NHS Dentists are not allowed to treat the patient in their best interest. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/6055221/NHS-dentists-extract-more-teeth-under-new-contr...
Community Veteran

A badly drawn up contract is the root cause of the problem.  The government got it wrong as they did with the doctors' contracts. 
We are lucky in my part of the country that we have sufficient NHS dentists but some are being paid more than the standard rate to keep them working in the NHS.