cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof insulation

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Roof insulation

I've just had an unsolicited call from an "energy company", on a crackly line from a call with a southern Asian accent.
"Hello Sir, Are you the householder."
"Yup"
"I'm calling from the XYZ energy company and want to talk to you about energy savings. What kind of house do you have? Detatached or semi-detatached?"
"Semi detached"
How old is it?
"It was built in 1805 you do the maths."
[Above question and answer repeated 5 times...]
"What about your roof?
"Yes"
"I'm asking you about roof insulation."
"Yes"
"Has it been done?"
"Yes"
"When was it done?"
"I don't know. It was done when we bought it.
"It can be upgraded for no cost."
"Are you sure? It's listed as a Historic Monument." [slight exaggeration]
Click Brrrr
The above is somewhat  shortened from the actual conversation.  More cold caller time wasted  Smiley
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Roof insulation

IF..... they call again..... pretend you are living in a light house.... and give approriate answers ! ... also useful for double glazing firms too....
Community Veteran

I always stop them and say "who are you and what business is it of yours"?
Same with sellers at the door.
I find it usually ends there.
TORPC
Grafter

Looking @ some info, my daughter was given, when she went for a call centre job interview (Last week)

It appears that they should stick by a rule of 3 code
[quote= Objection Handling / Cold Calling Manual]If there follows a 3rd early objection of: "Can you take my number off the list" The call response should be Acknowledge 3rd objection in this way and then flag as a Hard NO and tick the Do Not Phone box in Data capture:
I can certainly make a note on our records not to call you again, however I would not be able to remove you from other lists separate to (name of charity) that you may be on. I would advise you contact your telephone operator.

Of course there will always be those that will either ignore or are not governed by such rules
I also discovered that, @ any one time they choose / see fit, that from team leaders to management, they can if appointed unobtrusively listen in to the call, to monitor the call handler & that when they
Use your data for training & monitoring purposes,

They do not appear to edit out details like you address / account number(s) etc, when training staff to find out how they would handle the call etc.
Whether or not it was just that one firm is yet to be determined