cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof Box

Fixes: 125

Roof Box

Because of the amount of stuff needed to take away with us including a large wheelchair we've decided on a roof-box and had the roof-bars fitted by Vauxhall.
We're thinking of an Exodus 470L which has lots of favorable reviews.
Being new to using these boxes I have a some questions that I hope I may get answered here.
Are the locks reliable or should some sort of spider hook thingy be used for extra security?
Are you supposed to fit ready-packed cases in the boxes or load them with items separately?
Can anyone recommend a set of step ladders suitable for SWMBO to reach  the box if I'm not around (she's only 5')?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Roof Box

Never had a roof box, so can`t answer those questions.....
for SWMBO who is only 5` small.... suggest this kind of step...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOLDABLE-2-STEP-LADDER-NON-SLIP-THREAD-STEPLADDER-SAFETY-ALUMINIUM-KITCHEN...
Or you could pay for the expensive version....
http://www.constructionstore.co.uk/Steel-kitchen-steps/
We got ours from Wilko`s I think.... they are very stable, and you can stand on the top step quite safely.... light to carry, and fold flat for storage... ( you could even stick them in the car to take with you for her to unload the roof box at the other end.....)
Community Veteran

A few years ago, on holiday in France with three kids, I bought so much wine that I had to buy a roof box!
Got it from NorAuto, the French version of Halfords.
Didn't put the wine in the box - put all the soft lightweight stuff up there which created just enough space for the wine.
The next time it was used was to bring daughter home from a year in Paris. Took it over in the back of the car (Renault 21) and only put it on the roof when it was time to come home.
It's amazing just how stuff a student can amass in one year!  Shocked
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I've never had a roof box but have some practical advice for you based on some hassle I had with a customer once..
When fitted, measure the height of your vehicle with the roofbox on top. Write this height on a sticky note and stick it to your steering wheel / dash so you can't forget. I saw someone go through a height barrier once with chains on it and it ripped the box right off the roof of his motor and destroy the bottom of it.
Watch out for heigh barriers!!!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

Bought the Exodus this afternoon. Quite easy to fit and one person can do it but better with two. Haven't measured the height yet - will do that tomorrow.
Got a cheap pair of steps from Homebase.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Only got 1 thing to add here.
When loading the roofbox, use internal straps to stop things sliding around when you brake. Roofboxes are strong, but the strength is designed in them to resist external forces. So something hard crashing inside at 30mph can do some damage. Sad