cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roll up Roll up, never worry about flat tyres again

TORPC
Grafter

Roll up Roll up, never worry about flat tyres again

[quote= http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2710585/No-expensive-puncture-repairs-15-cycling-tool-finds-leaks-seals-holes-PERMANENTLY-just-60-seconds.html?ito=video_player_click]No more expensive tyre replacements! £15 puncturerepair tool finds leaks and seals holes PERMANENTLY in just 60 seconds

They show a video on how to use the product
I think it is a great idea, however will wait to see the reviews, before I make my mind up
Is this for hard core bikers, or much more ?Huh
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Roll up Roll up, never worry about flat tyres again

Not sure about this specific product but there has been criticism of similar products which work but are intended to get you to the garage for a proper repair.
Also sure I read somewhere that in certain cases the tyre had to be replaced after using this stuff, if you are thinking of using it might be useful to check out feedback from others who used it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: gleneagles

are intended to get you to the garage for a proper repair.

Also sure I read somewhere that in certain cases the tyre had to be replaced after using this stuff,

Erm...... How many cyclists take their bike to a garage to have a tyre repaired?
Community Veteran

Ops, foot in mouth,
I thought he was referring to a motorbike.
Shocked
Fixes: 105

Quote from: shutter
Erm...... How many cyclists take their bike to a garage to have a tyre repaired?

I've seen a few rubbish ones at halfords Wink
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

You mean people still shop there.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: dvorak
I've seen a few rubbish ones at halfords Wink

Very brave of you to admit to visiting Halfords considering the venom directed at them from topics on here Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 105

I'm sure someone will be along to tell me how horrendously bad they are and I shouldn't have spent £5 on some reduced cycling kit because it's the spawn of the devil
or something Roll eyes
Will Moderate For Thanks
WTF
Grafter

Clearly things have changed since my day when repairing a puncture involved a basin of water and things that looked like plasters made of rubber.
I also assumed that this referred to motorbikes as it's been so long since I did any cycling, £15 seems ridiculously expensive for repairing a bike tyre  Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

No they haven't - I still do it that way although to be fair the last few repairs have been thorns in the wheelbarrow tyre.
So, since the tyre was a bit knackered (cracked all over) I bought a new tyre and innertube for the next time. That was a couple of years ago and sod's law I haven't had a puncture since
Community Veteran

There has been a similar product especially for cars which is squirted in through the tyre valve stem (once the core is unscrewed)  and the wheel rotated a bit to spread the gunge inside properly. This is done when the tyre is whole (perhaps even new) and goes to work if a puncture occurs. I believe it was developed for the Armed Services but do not know if it worked or if it is still in use.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

there's a whole host of liquid sealant options and they work pretty well in the main for small holes, squirty foam types used to require a whole new wheel though and would frequently fail somewhere around the 50 mile mark, but this isn't a new idea its one they recycled from decades ago when such things were deemed unsafe as they don't last as long as a proper patch repair
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
oldgeezer
Grafter

Quote from: colintivy
There has been a similar product especially for cars which is squirted in through the tyre valve stem (once the core is unscrewed)  and the wheel rotated a bit to spread the gunge inside properly. This is done when the tyre is whole (perhaps even new) and goes to work if a puncture occurs. I believe it was developed for the Armed Services but do not know if it worked or if it is still in use.

Due to a disability I have difficulty walking nowadays, I used to be a keen walker and at my wife's suggestion I bought a very big road going (8mph) mobility scooter about 6 years ago..
I used it to take along the country lanes hereabouts that I used to enjoy walking.
I have insurance which includes up to 3 recoveries a year but it doesn't cover punctures or flat batteries. The battery problem I can deal with by always keeping them fully charged and never going beyond the scooters range, about 25 miles on hilly terrain.
The puncture problem I solved by having them injected through the valve with some blue gloop that seals punctures instantly.
Although the tyres are quite big, (14 inches dia) the tread is quite light and the rubber thin. Whenever I check the tyres I can see tiny blue dots where thorns have punctured the tube and tyre and been instantly sealed. I very seldom have to put extra air into the tyres.  I estimate that there must have been at least 20 or thirty perforations in each wheel.
Repairing a puncture would be a major job with the wheel having to come off the axle and the rim split.
I found the local suppliers through the internet and they came to my home and did all four tyres for about £24. They told me the stuff was approved for use in vehicles at up to 120 mph.
Unfortunately I have mislaid their details but I've just swopped the scooter for one with solid tyres.
If it's the same stuff I can see why the armed forces, emergency services use it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Ey Up!. Old Geezer.... how about a " just in case" spare tyre to carry with you on your adventures into the outback !..... YOU may not be able to change the wheel, but , Hopefully, some helpful person will be nearby, or you could call someone from your "home base" to come out and do it for you...
I know you have the blue gloop in there, but there may well be a time when that stuff has reached it`s "useful by" date... and either it has dried up inside the tyre(s) or just does not seal anymore...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

*/cough
Last but one line - solid tyres  Grin