cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roast in the bag

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Roast in the bag

The missus bought a chicken, oven ready, and roast in the bag. "Great idea" says missus "will stop oven getting dirty".
Well.... the chicken is more streamed than roasted and has the texture of wet rope. Truly awful. Lips are sealed
Of course I didn't tell the missus that!!  Wink
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Roast in the bag

Serves you right if she buys another one then... you will suffer ...  ( in silence  ? ? ?  ) 
Fixes: 125

Quote from: doris
Of course I didn't tell the missus that!!  Wink
Maybe you just have Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Err..she had got another one - it was an offer, 2 for £8. That's in the freezer. (I expect the bag may get ripped as I get something out of the freezer - you never know your luck Wink ).
Luckily the missus being a technophobe works in my favour here. Though it can be a bit frustrating sorting out her tablet/phone/tv/toaster/microwave/anything with two or more buttons.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Cook this instead, no bags required:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6OSMbfhIao
Cool
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

The missus bought a chicken, oven ready, and roast in the bag. "Great idea" says missus "will stop oven getting dirty".
Well.... the chicken is more streamed than roasted and has the texture of wet rope. Truly awful. Lips are sealed
Of course I didn't tell the missus that!!  Wink

We use Roasting Bags as sold by Amazon...
Plain Chicken...
In roasting bag
Follow instructions and cut a couple of slits in top of bag to let steam escape, did you do this ?
Crispy Skin, Chicken Roasted not steamed.
Add nothing apart from a spoonful of mixed herbs.
Around 90 minutes @200ºC in Electric Fan Oven
Mega Oven clean a couple of years ago, still totally clean inside...
(Only Chicken Roasted in Bag in this oven)
Community Veteran

Yes, followed the destructions exactly. It was from the co-op, and the bag was more plastic than the cellophane that you normally get with the bacofoil type cook in bags.
Meat very chewy and stringy. Truly horrible. If only we had a dog, I could stage an accident. Wink
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

We only use Tesco Chickens, having tried many others.
Co-op food has a bad reputation around here, especially from its' own Staff !
nadger
Rising Star

Roast chicken for lunch today  Smiley
As usual it'll be done on Moulineux rotisserie with lovely crispy skin  Cool

Community Veteran

Yes, followed the destructions exactly. It was from the co-op, and the bag was more plastic than the cellophane that you normally get with the bacofoil type cook in bags.
Meat very chewy and stringy. Truly horrible. If only we had a dog, I could stage an accident. Wink

Crikey me!  Shocked..... just as well you haven`t got a great dane...St, Bernard, ..... Bernese Mountain Dog... Maremma Sheep dog.... . you`d need a big oven bag for one of those  Shocked
Community Veteran

I've found those various herby cook in the bags perfect for cooking a bag of chicken pieces as it prevents the smaller bits from drying up.
Yes they are moister than usual but I usually end up freezing most so when they get reheated in the usual way they seem perfect. Not wet or too dried up as they normally would be.
Community Veteran

,@shutter, I actually meant feed it to the dog (but you knew that Smiley ). Though I wouldn't turn my nose up at dog, having eaten any and all different foods so I can at least say I have tried it.
I watch that "I'm a celebrity" Bush Tucker trial, and often think 'I don't know what the fuss is all about'. About the only thing I would refuse is spider. Lips are sealed
Community Veteran

Undecided Roll eyes well, I wasn`t quite sure........    Huh
Steve
Pro

Buy her a halogen oven, chicken cooked in one of them is delicious and its easy peasy to clean out the halogen oven....mines cleans itself, although I haven't tried that out yet.
Community Veteran

Quote from: M

its easy peasy to clean out the halogen oven....mines cleans itself, although I haven't tried that out yet.

So.... you don`t really know, if it does... or how good a job it does... YET ! ! ! ..  Cheesy