cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Road sweeping

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Road sweeping

Do you live in or near a large town or city, do you have to travel into or out of the areas at "rush hour" times on busy roads?
Is it really necessary that councils send out their walking pace road sweepers right in the middle of the busy commuter hours, causing long tail backs of motorists who are only trying to get to work, some of whom make dangerous overtaking manoeuvres to get past them.
This practice seems to me sometimes to smack of sheer bloody-mindedness to see just how much disruption they can cause.
At least three councils in this area seem to at times to compete with each other to see who can cause the most disruption in their areas (I live and work in an area where three district councils converge and sometimes overlap)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Road sweeping

What Council is that? Ours does the main road sweeping between 6am and 7am. Had one this morning in fact.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Well, I've just written to the offending council on this subject. Just in case they come up with a plausible reason, I will tell you later on which council(s) it is.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

@Petlew, I have to agree with you. I regularly drive through an adjoining borough and they have their refuse collection vans on main roads at peak times. This causes chaos as traffic builds up for some considerable distance behind the vans and can be dangerous as some drivers try to overtake the vans coming head-to-head with oncoming traffic.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

We get bin lorries blocking narrow streets (where cars park both sides) just a the time I have to get my son to school, they're typically finished work for the day by early afternoon so could easily have started their collection rounds after 9AM and cause a lot less disruption.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Several countries do the road sweeping at night thus avoiding the problems mentioned in the op.
Community Veteran

They did mine last night, twice - rather annoying at 3am when you're trying to sleep!
Fixes: 47

The problem as I see it with road sweeping at night is there can be many more cars parked at the side of the road than during the day.
Therefore less of each road gets swept.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Late night shift working is bad for the health.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.