cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Road resurfacing

Fixes: 47

Road resurfacing

This morning an Openreach van arrived and two men got out.
One took a 4' long tube out of the van and proceeded to extend it in a telescope manner to a length of approx 20'.
He then held it vertically with the bottom just clear of the road surface and proceeded to walk with it up and down the road with the other guy noting on a tablet where the pole touched an overhead phone line.
Now our road is due to be resurfaced this month but I was hoping that the contractors would scrape off a layer and replace it rather than place a new layer on top of the old thereby raising the road...and by how much would they raise it to put overhead cables in danger Undecided
Edited for typo
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
36 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Road resurfacing

I think you have been an unwitting guest to an OpenReach "Blessing of the Cable" ceremony. Feel privileged as they don't normally allow outsiders to witness this event. Be careful not to tell anyone or your bps might mysteriously be reduced.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

You'll probably find that they will scrap off the top layer, to reveal an even older layer beneath it.
When the parts of the A487 I frequent were done earlier this year this is what they did, complete with "No road markings" signs, even though the markings from the previous layer were still visible.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Feel privileged

I do indeed feel privileged Cool but I wish I had taken some photos of such a rare event Sad
Unfortunately it looks as though the Gods were displeased as the participants have been rained off.
wisty
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Strat

One took a 4" long tube out of the van and proceeded to extend it in a telescope manner to a length of approx 20'.

Blimey that's a telescopic trick & a half. A  60x extension is quite some piece of engineering.

Well spotted wisty Smiley
I've now edited the typo Embarrassed
Having said that I'm sure BT engineers are up to the challenge Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

My camera lens is only 2" deep, and it can do 60X  magnification...... add on some digital and reduce the pixel count and can do over 400 X  ! ! ! ...
Community Veteran

If they're 'planing' the old road surface off, they might be using something like this, maybe they need to make sure there's room for the machine to clear the cables.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: AlaricAdair
I think you have been an unwitting guest to an OpenReach "Blessing of the Cable" ceremony. Feel privileged as they don't normally allow outsiders to witness this event. Be careful not to tell anyone or your bps might mysteriously be reduced.

Thats nothing.. just the other month we had the leccy board dealing with the transformer over the road which had dropped dead. We saw them poke it with a big stick!
So now you know how electrical engineers test their stuff.. they poke it with a wooden stick and if nothing happens they'll sit in the van and have a drink  Lips are sealed
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: 7up

So now you know how electrical engineers test their stuff.. they poke it with a wooden stick ..........................

Shocking !  Shocked Cheesy Cheesy
wisty
Aspiring Pro

Long long ago I worked in a factory as an instrumentation engineer.
The control panels worked on 110 AC (actually +/- 55 from a centre tap).
The older and more experienced guys used to test if a circuit was live by licking a finger and swiping very quickly and lightly over the terminals - they could tell by the tingle!!
New apprentices were taught to check with an AVO. Now and again the cockier ones would see the electrician doing the finger trick and emulate them - but by touching the  terminal with a wet finger - it would bounce them across the control room.
Community Veteran

Quote from: wisty
New apprentices were taught to check with an AVO. Now and again the cockier ones would see the electrician doing the finger trick and emulate them - but by touching the  terminal with a wet finger - it would bounce them across the control room.

"Monkey see, monkey do" comes to mind there, but like they say, pay peanuts, get monkeys... Grin

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,140416.msg1239089.html#msg1239089
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Testing for Mains Electricity with fingers / hand:
When someone touches or holds a live cable / terminal in their hand, the natural response is for muscles to contract, meaning you cannot let go of the Mains feed.
I was told very early on in Broadcasting, if I did purposely test touch a "live" source, to always do it with the back of finger / hand, then if indeed it is live, the contracting muscles force your hand away from the mains.
Extremely quickly !!
However, I always found a mains test screwdriver extremely useful, and if it lit up without even touching the suspect item, stay well away !!
Watching TV bench engineers discharging an old CRT tube & associated electronics was scary !!

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: PlusComUK
Watching TV bench engineers discharging an old CRT tube & associated electronics was scary !!

PO number 6 screwdriver and a croc clip cable - Simples!