cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Road Traders

Community Veteran
Fixes: 18

Road Traders

Nice drive out in the country,.... took some main route roads, and saw several "road traders".. with "FRESH STRAWBERRIES"    "ENGLISH STRAWBERRIES"     a garden gazebo, and a large ( possibly pasting ) table, covered in punnets of strawberries....

Quintesentially English, you may think... BUT>>>  ever thought about where they came from...... who picked them..... were they all checked for bugs, and dirt.. were they washed......... how many rats have peed on them....

Some serious "food safety" questions methinks..

I am sure they are "illegal" traders... never bought off them... but wonder how many people have, and suffered some kind of food poisoning, without actually putting it down to the strawberries ( or Cherries etc.. )

16 REPLIES
Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Road Traders

@shutter This https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/06/13/strawberry-glut-means-supermarkets-selling-cheap-super-s... should be noted.

Is hampshire not noted for strawberries? Over in Kent and E Sussex I seem to recall there were many roadside stalls selling local produce. Whether connected or not there was even a village called Punnetts Town. generally they looked local in those days. 

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
198kHz
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 11

Referencing the shortage of east European fruit pickers, I saw a cartoon recently of a farmer at his gate in front of a sign reading Strawberries - Pick Your Own..... PLEASE!

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else
Champnet
Aspiring Pro

I often wondered what we were eating from the stalls or picked in the fields, but it didn’t stop us....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The little green caterpillars that usually eat my gooseberry leaves gave them a miss this year and moved to my strawberries.

Still had more than enough just the leaves looking a bit thread bare.

I like mine with aldi's extra thick double cream. Though when it got very hot I changed to ice cream.

As a kid every  country road I went down, in Hampshire, seemed to have a fruit and veg stall.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 45

Isn't Kent colloquially known as the 'Garden of England?"
I must have been really bad in a previous life as this was my 3rd ISP in a row that used lithium.
Now you're stuck with me because my new ISP doesn't run a forum Cheesy
Community Veteran

@shutter I personally don't buy from roadside traders but what about the stallholders in markets? You don't have any idea of the source of their products. Most will be bought at the wholesale fruit and veg market I guess.

My criticism of strawberries bought from supermarkets is that they are often tasteless. Even this time of the year when they are all marked as being home grown they are not much better.

RobPN
Seasoned Pro

@billnotben wrote:

I like mine with aldi's extra thick double cream. Though when it got very hot I changed to ice cream.

I prefer a great big dollop of this (although it might not be available in all branches of Aldi) ...  Wink

AldiClottedCream.jpg

If I'm honest, the strawberries are just something to have with the cream!

Community Veteran

@artmo Fruit and veg, and indeed, the butcher boys, in Market Places, generally come under the rules and regs same as shops for food hygiene...They would be aware of those, and, would also not want to be "closed down" even for an investigation period, if their produce caused health problems to their customers...  Also, they source their stock from reputable warehouses.... Generally buying the 2nd grade stuff as it is cheaper than the premium stuff that fruit and veg SHOPS would be buying.

Strawberries that we have bought from supermarkets, this year, included some form "forren" supply countries, but the English suppliers has had a much more superior taste.  possibly because they are "fresher" and have spent less time refrigerated and  less time "in transit".. before being put on sale.

idonno
Rising Star

@shutter wrote:

Quintesentially English, you may think... BUT>>>  ever thought about where they came from...... who picked them..... were they all checked for bugs, and dirt.. were they washed......... how many rats have peed on them....

Some serious "food safety" questions methinks..

I am sure they are "illegal" traders... never bought off them... but wonder how many people have, and suffered some kind of food poisoning, without actually putting it down to the strawberries ( or Cherries etc.. )

I've bought some over the years and am still alive. I've even PYO and eaten them direct from the plant. What a sanitised world you live in Shutter. :-) Washed, scrubbed. Next, you'll be expecting your strawberries to be already peeled!

As for food poisoning, go visit this website. Alerts food.gov.uk You'll be forever checking on your food as you shop.

Reading down the list I was quite surprised how many recalls seem to occur. And these are experts in supplying food.

I'll stick to what nature intended. We currently have cherries, gooseberries, strawberries, red currants on offer, direct from the garden. Do I care what bird, cat etc adds to them. Nah, adds to the flavour. Besides we wash the food before we eat it. Quick wash though, wouldn't want to miss out on that delicious flavour i.e. usually less than one minute from being picked to the dish.

Oh, and nearly forgot to mention, we have a very big cherry tree at the entrance to the estate. The threat of unwashed food is lost on the kids (and a few adults) round here who take great pleasure in showing their skills with a stick in bringing down big clumps of cherries at a time. They get eaten straight away. Yum!

Luzern
Seasoned Pro

@Browni wrote:
Isn't Kent colloquially known as the 'Garden of England?"

Though I think much orchard over the last fifty or so years has been given over to housing.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Jonpe
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Madagascan Vanilla Cream with my berries thank you very much.  By the way, why is pretty much all vanilla now described as Madagascan, and nearly all chocolate described as Belgian?  I'm rather partial to Swiss chocolate myelf.

198kHz
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 11

As long as it's at least 70% I'm not too fussed.

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else
Luzern
Seasoned Pro

@shutter I've been musing, if it is an accident the thread title is so close to that of a TV series.

You're not gunning for a position are you?Funny

Community Veteran

@Luzern  Well spotted... it was intentional. !   ... was wondering how long it would be before someone spotted it  !    Congrats !  Smiley