cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Road Tax Renewal

nadger
Rising Star

Road Tax Renewal

A couple of days ago I got the paper reminder that my car tax expires at end of March. It, as always, states that it can't be renewed before 15th of month.
I was cursing as The Budget is on the 12th and I wouldn't bet against there being another price hike  Angry
I renewed on line last year and yesterday got reminder email from DVLA. There was no mention of a date restraint so I thought I'd try an on line renewal straight away.
Apart from the email having the wrong reference number - last digit incorrect so used one from form - the renewal from 1st April ( yes I know) went through so look forward to getting new disc in post.
Will now wait to see what happens in Budget.
115 REPLIES
glyndev
Grafter

Re: Road Tax Renewal

I know that this is a contentious issue. but I think that it is about time they scrapped the car tax and added a couple of pence to fuel.
By doing this the people that do the most mileage and cause more wear and tear to the roads pay proportionately for the wear and tear.
jmd
Grafter

Nadger - that is really interesting as my tax is due at end of March too.  I got paper reminder today, but renewed on line last year - had no email remnder but then I changed email address after last May!  may try it too online this weekend!
nadger
Rising Star

Check on way through that new tax disc will be dated 1st April - I saw this but it's not on confirmation email.
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: Devonports
I know that this is a contentious issue. but I think that it is about time they scrapped the car tax and added a couple of pence to fuel.
By doing this the people that do the most mileage and cause more wear and tear to the roads pay proportionately for the wear and tear.

Edit: (Oops - pressed Post too early Embarrassed) Speaking entirely partially, being the driver of a "Historic Vehicle" I pay zero road tax anyway, so would prefer not to pay more for fuel instead Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Your lucky being on a heritage product, they have now scrapped it for old vehcle that reach 25 years.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

A  couple of days ago I got the paper reminder that my car tax expires at end of March. It, as always, states that it can't be renewed before 15th of month.
I was cursing as The Budget is on the 12th and I wouldn't bet against there being another price hike 

Just to save a few bob on the renewal before the new tax comes into force, why not renew your tax a month earlier this year.... It will still cost you a years money, and the amount of money you "lose" for one month this year, will be recouped in future years, because you will always get your new tax before the budget announcement ..... Wink
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: shutter
Just to save a few bob on the renewal before the new tax comes into force, why not renew your tax a month earlier this year.... It will still cost you a years money, and the amount of money you "lose" for one month this year, will be recouped in future years, because you will always get your new tax before the budget announcement ..... Wink

I imagine that road tax could increase by about £15 which is  about 4 months increase in the basic state pension. Gets out banner and marches on Whitehall  Wink
I like your idea - problem is we'll then start having February budgets  Huh
chino
Grafter

Quote from: Devonports

It depends how much you drive! I drive a lot so i don't mind the cheaper fuel (i know its not cheap) and road tax... I would rather have cheaper trains / buses... (its cheaper for me to drive than get the train or bus!)
Fixes: 47

On the face of it such a system seems fair and I've supported it for some time.
However
I'm sure that if it was implemented, the government would find a way of profiting from it.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
On the face of it such a system seems fair and I've supported it for some time.
However
I'm sure that if it was implemented, the government would find a way of profiting from it.

If you want to find out the cheapest petrol in your postcode area. check out http://petrolprices.com ; You can register, it`s free, and then you will get an email every week with the latest update on 5 nearest petrol stations to your postcode....
The results can be about 24/48 hrs out of date, but after a while, you get to know which petrol stations are cheapest....  Smiley

I get updates twice a week.
I find, for instance that Tesco Barnsley has cheaper fuel than Tesco Sheffield although I can't understand why Angry
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Same around here, seems to depend on the competition locally, within 10 mile of here it varies from 103.9 to 106.9 at different Tesco
Community Veteran

Yes, same around here..... You would think that being TESCO, and purchasing Millions of gallons from Shell, they would be able to really cut the price to us poor motorists.... I think the competition ombudsman should look into it...  Roll eyes

A while ago it was the Supermarkets that were driving down prices and driving the competition out of business.
Now the role is reversed and the Supermarkets tend to be pricier.
I guess their plan worked well Angry