cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Road Tax Disc (Vehicle Excise Tax)

Community Veteran

Road Tax Disc (Vehicle Excise Tax)

The Vehicle Excise Duty - Road Tax-  disc is to be got rid of. An announcement will be made in today's Autumn Statement. It will be collected in other ways.
94 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Road Tax Disc (Vehicle Excise Tax)

another nail in the coffin of your friendly neighbourhood post office  Cry
on the other hand the police already know all they need to know from your registration the disc was superfluous  Sad
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
shalom2010
Grafter

Glad it's going, hated cutting the damn thing or trying to pull away the paper surround without it ripping!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Initially I thought it was something radical like abolish the fee altogether  and increase the tax take on fuel, or 'toll' more roads.
The department said the abolition of paper discs – which will save £7m in administration costs – was supported both by the police and the Post Office.
Drivers will also, for the first time, be able to spread the cost of road tax by paying for it monthly by direct debt, the Chancellor will tell MPs in the Autumn Statement.
The charge for paying by direct debit will also be reduced from ten per cent to five per cent. Motorists will still be able to tax their cars by telephone or in person at a post office.

I was not aware of the discount by DD option Embarrassed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

1. motorists will still be able to tax their car by phone or post offic
2. for those who don`t pay road tax, mot, insurance,.... this is a godsend. !... because they don`t have to worry about not having one on display, and their chances of being "spotted" without road tax by the police have been minimised.  Yes, I know about ANPR, but having a tax disc in the window, ( even one out of date/wrong vehicle) drew less attention from patrolling bobbies on the beat...  and ANPR is not "big brother" on every car parking spot in town.....
Community Veteran

Next thing will be the police saying they need ANPR cameras at every major road junction to enable them to catch unlicensed vehicles.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
shalom2010
Grafter

When did you last see the police stop someone chatting on the phone whilst driving? I'm afraid my faith of catching those that don't pay the road tax is very low.
Community Veteran

That will mess up one of our local councils who had a "rule" (illegally as it turned out) that to park in their (off-street) car parks you had to display a valid tax disc.  Cheesy
As for affecting PO's I don't see why. You'll still need to renew as you do now and if you prefer/need to go to the PO to do the paperwork then that won't change.
The PO's won't need to store and issue (and risk theft of) tax discs so will probably have their fees (and insurance?) reduced somewhat.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Bad idea.
Those declaring their vehicle 'off road' then parking in the street (like a neighbour of ours) will be much less likely to get caught.
As for ANPR - is it really that difficult for the criminally minded to get false plates - at least with a tax disc there was a possibility to verify that the number matched.
If you own two similar vehicles it's easy enough to get a duplicate set of plates for one then fit them on the other then you pay one lot of VED, insurance etc. and drive two vehicles (handy for anyone with a secluded private driveway).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
nanotm
Pro

the only reason they argued for having the physical disc issued and displayed was that it ensured the driver had a valid MOT and insurance on the date of issue, its been argued for years that it should be a sticker added to the number plate (like in Europe) during the MOT as a visual indicator and the extra cost added as 1p per 5 litres of fuel at the pump.......of course that also means the more you drive the more you pay but at least its fair on all drivers Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
nadger
Rising Star

From a pure cost angle I would have hated the charge to be on fuel when I did 60k miles per year.  Now I do less than 3k miles it could be a saving.
nanotm
Pro

yeah I would of as well but I think it would be better than having (depending on which report you read over the years) up to a million untaxed cars on the road at any one time
not to mention all the none motor vehicle fuel sales that would help to increase the total tax take from it all, all of which could then (because it would be a massive increase in annual revenues) be used to pay for proper road rebuilding instead of the half assed stuff that gets done year in year out on roads that were never built properly in the first place, and I think every driver would agree not having to contend with uneven road surfaces (because they always are) on heavy traffic roads within weeks of apparent resurfacing works being completed, for instance one motorway I used regularly for 3 years was resurfaced every 3 months to deal with wheel ruts that were back within a few weeks because the subsurface strata was incorrect but there wasn't enough money to do more than replace the tarmac surface, its not the only road like it but it was by far the worst I had to contend with ruts of up to 8 inches to trash your vehicle when changing lanes (the local tyre company made a fortune from low profiles that went pop every day)
and back then used to do over 70k miles a year and changed cars every 3 months (to avoid the excessive servicing costs from bad roads) then again I also used to get millage allowance for about 1/3rd of that distance Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

According to the article, Police inspection of road fund licence discs (to give it its proper name) has fallen 75% since the introduction of ANPR. I'd like to place a small wager that more tax dodgers are caught since then than by a bobby patrolling up a line of parked cars on foot looking out for the out-of-date disc colour.
Being caught by ANPR is not always because of no disc, others include speeding, dangerous driving, no MoT, no insurance, seat belt infringements, using a phone etc., any or all of these can lead to finding no tax either.
Personally I won't miss the disc. Currently I renew mine online and have done for several years.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
Initially I thought it was something radical like abolish the fee altogether  and increase the tax take on fuel, or 'toll' more roads.

With the various levels of tax on vehicles it would not be possible to have it put on petrol.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

As most of the tax variation is loosely based on specific fuel consumption I don't see why not