cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Road Signs I hate....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Road Signs I hate....

Seeing the other "Road Sign" topic... I thought this one might be amusing to find out which roadsign(s) you hate, as you travel around, and WHY?

I think the one I hate to see most, as I do a lot of long distance driving, is
DIVERSION ENDS
The reason?  because I haven`t been diverted from my route...... and it annoys me, because I don`t know what the diversion was for, nor where it`s route would have taken me, had I been diverted !.
67 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Road Signs I hate....

It's not actual highway road signs that I hate, but the constant barrage of advertising.
We even have advertisements on the roundabouts, thereby raising money for the council.
I reckon it is distracting and dangerous and should be stopped.
Community Veteran

How about the signs saying 'Maximum speed 20mph' and you think how nice it would be to actually be able to do 20mph Crazy
Fixes: 47

It's not so much a specific road sign that annoys most people but the quantity of them.
However what about the 'Men at Work' signs on motorway road works without a single one in sight Angry
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It's the use of DIVERSION when it should be DIVERTED TRAFFIC that annoys me.
Edit: Oh and the diversions that lead you in to the middle of nowhere and then there are no more signs.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat

However what about the 'Men at Work' signs on motorway road works without a single one in sight Angry

Well I guess someone must be working putting the signs up Wink Wink
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: poppy
It's not actual highway road signs that I hate, but the constant barrage of advertising.
We even have advertisements on the roundabouts, thereby raising money for the council.
I reckon it is distracting and dangerous and should be stopped.

At the moment I can't think of any advertising in the town I live in. There are small signs of the roundabouts just with the name of the company sponsoring it but advertising hoardings beside the road or on buildings have been removed for several years. It took the council several years to remove same on the side of buildings as I assume that they can only do it by the planning regulations. You can tell on some of the building if they did have hoardings up as the painters were not to careful keeping the paint of the brickwork.
Next time I'm out I have to see if there are any hoardings around this area. But it wil be now where near the number I have seen in some of the countries I have visited.
mentalist3d
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Edit: Oh and the diversions that lead you in to the middle of nowhere and then there are no more signs.

Thats probably just bored kids mucking around with nicked signs  Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

50mph matrix signs left on on motorways long after whatever event that caused them to be used has dispersed.
Again on motorways the matrix sign that reads "end"  er! end of what?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
N/A

Just come back from a walk in the woods with the dogs and there is a huge banner ad tied to the railings at a pedestrian crossing on a very busy road. The roundabout is just a few yards after the crossing so there is a lot going on, especially that in the very near vicinity there are several schools, nurseries, a library, shops and health centre.
It is about some event that is taking place at a local school in early October so it will be there for at least another two weeks.  Crazy
jmd
Grafter

Road signs that annoy?  well, it is lack of direction signs for me.  For example you can follow A57 very easily from Worksop to Sheffield but if you want to get nto Glossop via the A57 the signage stops in centre of Sheffield and so you can end up driving round and round the centre looking for signs that say A57 Glossop/Manchester!!  If you are on your own and without satnav [no use to me] it gets frustrating!
I also find "Diversion" signs annoying especially when you follow them as I did on one occasion and ended up where I started!!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the trouble is that the A57 from Worksop to Sheffield is a trunk road which then runs with the A61 and branches off as a minor A road
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I hate speed limit signs that are hidden in the bushes that the council cant afford to cut, could mean that the speed limit is then illegal and you cant get pinched for speeding
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not the fault of the signs, but I hate people who dont wear a watch and wont go into the bus lanes when the time permits.  i.e. the road into Chelmsford is a peak hour bus lane - 08:00 to 10:00 and then 16:00 to 18:00
N/A

I hate roads that don't have 30 mph speed limit signs.
I rerckon that councils do it on purpose so that they can get loads of revenue from the unsuspecting motorist being caught by the traffic policemen.
The rule about 30 if the street lights are so many yards apart is barmy IMO. If it's 30 it should say so!