cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Road Repairs

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Road Repairs

I Have been watching the series on the London Underground and in one area they were replacing track, 150 men were working 24/7 to get the work completed as soon as possible, other repairs were done at night employing a lot of men to get the work completed before the station opened the next morning.
So if this can be done on the underground why can it not be done on the Motorway where you can drive for miles of traffic cones without a single workman in sight ?
18 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Road Repairs

Perhaps because they can put up temporary speed cameras and rake in a few extra squid?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

@gleneagles, that was an interesting programme on the underground.  I was amazed at the work done behind the scenes to keep trains running.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Very interesting program, wouldnt like to work at the Bank Station
its repeated on
DOCUMENTARY: The Tube
On: BBC 2
Date: Thursday 22nd March 2012
Time: 23:20 to 00:20 (1 hour long)
Going behind the scenes of the world's oldest, largest and busiest underground train network as it undergoes the biggest overhaul in its history. Rush hour is the Tube's biggest test - but it can be too much for some passengers. Station Supervisor Bob Weedon at Bank has to deal with five injuries and faintings in a row during one rush hour crush. Chief operating officer Howard Collins must muck in when a power failure on the Jubilee Line threatens to disrupt the evening peak. And the Tube's most unusual employee, a hawk called Toyah, is put to work on pigeon patrol.
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=17639
Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Back to the title
From the ConDems they think they have a new idea for looking after roads.
going on the A130 from Chelmsford there a a lot of signs " maintained by",  They are also on he A1 from Huntingdon to Peterborough
Community Veteran

Yep, very interesting program it was. The more interesting one was on Quest (freeview channel 3Cool an hour or two later where they were looking at the theory of building a transatlantic railway which would run through an underwater floating tunnel held in place by cables. They reckon the trains would travel at 8,000kph  Shocked
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
SpecialD
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
Perhaps because they can put up temporary speed cameras and rake in a few extra squid?

Don't forget it's also make you take the toll road instead...  "Delays on M6 - M6 Toll clear"  Yes, manufactured delays. Do they honestly think we've no idea?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I remember driving through that junction. The tiniest slip road which comes all of a sudden to remain on the M6, and an easy two lane stretch to move onto the M6 toll.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

M6 Toll road..... excellent value....
I have used it many times travelling both ways .... saves a load of horrible concrete slabs put down in the 1960`s or whenever, to represent a motorway... very uncomfortable, very noisy, and usually very congested....
Only problem I have with the M6 toll, is that it is poorly signed.... when travelling northbound there is a sign telling you the M6 is the next junction, but it does not say that theM6 Toll road, is the next junction past that one... I have taken the M6 a few times because of the bad signing..... and regretted my action immediately
Yes, The Tube, is an excellent programme.... despite it being "the underground" to 99% of the travelling public, it is in effect, a complete railway .... in the true sense of the word.... The people who operate it, work very hard to keep it up to scratch, but seem to get little or no praise for their effort..... (save, when they make a TV prog about it !).
Community Veteran

We agree then shutter, I think we posted that near enough the same time Smiley
I wanted to stay on the M6, cos I was coming off the M5 junction going to West Birmingham.
Nearly missed it and went onto the M6 toll instead.
itsme
Grafter

Except @shutter is complaining that he ended up on the M6 when he wanted the M6 toll so opposite to you.
Community Veteran

Well yes, I just meant the junction being confusing.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yep.... it is confusing..... and even though I "know" the M6 Toll is the next junction.... as I am driving I am concentrating on which lane I am supposed to be in....The lane markings say M1 London, not M6 (N) Toll.... so if you are in the wrong lane..... you aint got nowhere else to go.....
Community Veteran

Does this specific Toll road show up on a Sat Nav ?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

that depends on how old your sat nav is, my ones map is 2012 and my older about 4 years, both show the road as M6 Toll
the bottom section is confusing as the M6Toll and the M42 follow the same track,  Not been on it, as going to Kiddermister, stayed on the M6

M6 signs below