cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Road Kill

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Road Kill

Over the last week or so we've spent a lot of time driving around the lanes and B roads of Hertfordshire and Essex. I don't think I've ever seen so many road killed animals as I've seen recently. Mostly Foxes (good) a small number of Badgers a couple of small Deer and the odd Pheasant or two. And, just missed a small Deer.
What is probably not so apparent is the cost of being involved with a collision with a small animal. More than 30 years ago I ran over a Golden Retriever (it had been hit by a previous vehicle) in a completely unlit dip in the road. The dog was already dead by the time I got there, the owner was nearby in some distress (not alone but with a neighbour) the dog was very large and quiet ancient and possibly just keeled over in the road and died. Traffic had absolutely no chance of missing it as the dip in the road was directly after a sharp bend.
However, whatever my feeling of running over the dog (not good, as a  dog lover) it did more than £1000 of damage to the underside of the company vehicle I was driving.
Much more recently, In my previous Mondeo I struck a small Deer running out in front of me only a mile from home. Apart from the blood and gore (don't know where the Deer went but it must have been able to run away) the Mondeo was automatic and had two radiators and an oil cooler all were damaged beyond repair, most of the front grill and adjacent panels had to be replaced the front near side wheel was knocked slightly out of line. My insurance company considered writing off the car, but it was repaired at considerable cost.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
30 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Road Kill

There is a rural myth that carcases of baited badgers and foxes are 'placed on the road' to make them appear as road kills, thus 'disposing' of any evidence.
Community Veteran

I took out a turkey many years ago in my Ford Granada - similar damage to yours Petelew - both radiators gone (and fans, lower valance / spoiler / grill etc).
Fortunately I was doing the computer systems for a Ford dealership at the time so repaired it myself for a lot less than retail but the worst thing about it all was that the flaming turkey was nowhere to be found afterwards Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Petlew
(don't know where the Deer went but it must have been able to run away

Like many animals that don't die instantly they'll just run off somewhere and then keel over and die.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
David_W
Rising Star

My last post didn't get posted, my pun way too bad but I'll repeat it!
Last week I went up from here to Cheltenham.  Got onto the M5 at Exeter and was pleased to see the council had built a bridge next to the Deer Crossing sign, though ideally they would move the sign totally as allowing deer to cross a motorway is dangerous.
Community Veteran

We have a lot of deer around where I live.  It's always nice to see them but not when they suddenly charge over the road in front of the car. 
Community Veteran

Avoid hitting moose with your car.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

A moose can write off a lorry, it was mentioned on ice road truckers.
Community Veteran

As is said.
Horse or cow avoid hitting with your car as you could get seriously injured.
Cat or dog keep straight on as you may get seriously injured swerving to avoid it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Hitting a cow would be bad enough, but what are the chances of hitting two cows humping ?

>
  Shocked
Community Veteran

I was in a portacabin on a building site when a car hit a cow on the main road which was up the embankment from us.
Some serious injuries and an incredible mess Sad
Community Veteran

... but the good news was the massive free barbecue at lunch time  Tongue
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: purleigh
two cows humping

?!! goodness me times have changed...must have filmed that clip for the BBC.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

After the crash, did the bull asked the cow - "did the earth mooove for you ?Embarrassed
Community Veteran

You're milking that one Purleigh Wink