cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rip off prices for key cutting

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Rip off prices for key cutting

Needed a new key for my car. So went to the ONLY key place locally.
Thinking £5-10 for a new key.
He takes one look and says ....... £34 WTF I think no way!!! Crazy
Trouble is this is the ONLY place in about 30 miles to cut keys so they can charge what they want.  Cry
56 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Rip off prices for key cutting

Is this including cloning the RFID / Immobiliser type chip inside the key ?
Fixes: 121

I have no idea what a new key would have cost for my Primera which I part-exchanged earlier this year is but just the fob containing the immobiliser chip and reprogramming used to cost upward of £70. Then it would only last a couple of years before a new one was required Sad
Thankfully I have key cover by Boomerang which only costs around £10 pa and can make up to two claims in any 12 months.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I don't think there is an immobiliser, but a (same) blank key on ebay is £5.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Our car had a broken key blade a few years ago. It's one of the RF transponders with immobiliser chip inside. Timpsons were displaying a poster saying they did them so went in there.
Not a happy chap when I left lol. I can't remember the exact details but it was something along the lines of they could do it for several hundred quid but it wouldn't do everything.
I told the bloke it only needed a new blade, he said they were not available seperately without the fob as they didn't come out. I told him "Yes they do they drop out when you change the battery". He was adamant it couldn't be done.
Months passed and one day I went in the local lockies looking for something else. I suddenly realised he had car key blades up on the wall. I got him to take a look at the broken key and he had one idenical blade in stock which he cut for me for £3.50. I fitted it into the fob and that was it - job done. Works perfectly.
It pays to shop around and ask several different key places, some don't want the hassle of immobiliser chips, some want to sell you a more expensive part and others will genuinely want to help.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

Quote from: picbits
Is this including cloning the RFID / Immobiliser type chip inside the key ?

Not for 34 quid I wouldn't have thought.
I once totalled up getting a key cut at a local shop and a new fob programmed up at a dealer for a Megané....£150.
A couple of local garages told me I had to get the programming done at a main dealer.
A bit different with my current Ford Focus.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation

That's why I have the Key Cover.
If covers any keys attached to the ring they supply for loss, theft and damage:
Save time, money and stress with our optional key protection cover - up to £1,500 worth of cover in the event that any key attached to the provided fob is lost, stolen or damaged. Rest assured knowing you're covered for locksmith charges, new locks and keys if anything ever goes wrong.
What is covered?
    Access to an emergency helpline, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
    £10 reward for the finder of your missing key
    No excess
    Doesn't affect your no claims discount

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Mav
Thankfully I have key cover by Boomerang which only costs around £10 pa and can make up to two claims in any 12 months.

Sounds useful, Mav did you buy direct from them? as on their website ( assuming i got the right one) , does not appear you can buy cover.
http://www.boomerang-tag.co.uk/
Regards
Mike
Mike

I got it through Hastings Direct.
Sorry, I got the Premium wrong... it was £15.03 which I still think is good value.
Also it's unlimited claims up to £1500 a year and your NCD is unaffected and there is no excess to pay.

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

Thanks for the info Mav, appreciated Smiley
Regards
Mike
Mike

Glad to help Smiley
In the three years I've had the cover I have claimed for three car key remote fobs totalling around £210 - a saving of about £165.
One thing, though, that I always thought a bit silly, is each time I have telephoned to make a claim they ask me if the key is attached to their fob. I'm unlikely to say no considering their terms stipulate it should be  Cheesy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Hairy

Trouble is this is the ONLY place in about 30 miles to cut keys so they can charge what they want.  Cry

It only costs £15 to register a new company... sounds like you could set up a competitive key cutting service in your locality.  Wink Just the matter of premises rental, business council tax, insurance, accountant costs, employers NI, Corporation tax, Liability insurance, bank fees, equipment finance... etc etc.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Hairy
Needed a new key for my car. So went to the ONLY key place locally.
Thinking £5-10 for a new key.
He takes one look and says ....... £34 WTF I think no way!!! Crazy
A Lot depends on what car you have, I have been to a number of places to get a third key for my car and when they check it out on the computer it seems that either the software or/and blank key can only be obtained from the dealers, the cost is £70 plus.
With one car I had I was informed that providing I had 2 programmable keys then a third one would cost £15 BUT if I had only one key then the cost would be nearer the Hundred mark as they needed to contact some sort of code reader to the car to obtain the necessary information.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Typically the cars security system holds s seed value and original code. This can often only be extracted by a dealers computer or they can order it direct from the HQ of the company that built the car. They'll often charge heavily for it though. They then need to program the new key into the car so that it accepts that keys unique ID along with the correct seed values for the rolling codes.
Quite why they could do a 3rd key cheaper than a missing one though is beyond me! IT wouldn't happen to be a french car would it?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
PowerLee
Rising Star

It will be a Ford, they are very easy to code extra keys in if you already have 2 working keys - unless the customer key coding option has been disabled - normally on hire / loan cars.