cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rip off companies ......

Community Veteran

Rip off companies ......

So ........ I had a phone call from a customer last week - "my xyz machine has gone wrong, can you have a look ?"
Now I'm not an expert with xyz machines but the customer can rely on me to give them an honest opinion so I popped over (30 mile round trip). Plugged it in - nothing.
Found a fuse at the front - tested it with a meter - dead ! Fantastic
Popped round the corner to Maplin, bought a packet of fuses, replaced the fuse, pffffffft ....... pop.
Oh well - time to open it up - lots of green bits of something inside and upon investigation, the switch mode power supply had fried some input components.
I advised the customer I could possibly repair it for around £35 in parts (this used a supply available from Farnell) but it may still not work - in my opinion worth a gamble. They decided to send it back to the manufacturer for a quote.
Having "thoroughly" tested the unit, the manufacturer turned round and said - "dead main board - we can possibly fix it for £600+vat but no guarantees on the repair". They were willing to sort it out with a guarantee for just over £1000  Cheesy
Anyway - I was asked to have another look at it, it turned up by courier, I hooked it up to an external PSU, powered it on and everything worked perfectly. Ordered the new part from Farnell and fingers crossed it will sort them out - I've also offered them no long term guarantees as I only charge for parts + labour on top but my quote was a tenth of the company that supplied the product.
Considering the machine had test points to inject the power / test the existing PSU, this should have been a 20 minute job with the right tools but how greedy is asking £600+ for the repair !!!Huh
Having explained all this to the MD of the company he's turned round and given me a load more work Smiley Nice end to a pretty rubbish week  Cool
9 REPLIES
Glenn
Grafter

Re: Rip off companies ......

That manufacturer quote is absolutely shocking...at least Dick Turpin wore a mask when robbing people  Shocked
Brilliant that you got work being sent your way out of it, efficiency and honesty goes a long way.  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yeah I've been there and done that a few times.. silly faults can be quoted at £Mega because they think you're stupid. Ask them to justify the cost when you find the 'real' fault and they never will lol
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I once had a 5.25" floppy drive that packed up just after the warranty expired.  Cry
I sent the drive back to the supplier, who reckoned that the drive was fine but the read/write head needed replacing and realigning.
They quoted £210 for parts and labour.  Shocked
Needless to say I told them to scrap the drive, and bought a whole new drive from a different manufacturer for a fraction of the cost !
Fixes: 47

I had an old CRT TV that died.
I called a repair guy who took a look at it and pronounced a failed EHT transformer.
Acting dumb (shut up) I said "Is that bad?". "Oh yes" he said, "£100 to fix"
I said I would think about it as the TV wasn't worth much more and he left.
Out came a screwdriver, a soldering iron and a de-soldering tool.
10 minutes later I had the offending transformer out and popped down to my local electronics supplier.
An hour later the £15 replacement transformer was fitted and working fine.
I felt I had ripped off the repair man as he charged me nothing for the call-out.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
I felt I had ripped off the repair man as he charged me nothing for the call-out.

...........and you felt guilty Huh Huh
Fixes: 123

Quote from: Strat

I wouldn't worry about that as there are plenty of mugs customers out there for him Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

On the other hand - one of the best customer service experiences has been with Toshiba.
I bought a CRT TV years ago as part of a staff deal through the mother-in-law and it went wrong a few years later. It was a known issue with something called the DFS module (no it didn't have sales every month !). If you had a TV with one of these even though it wasn't under warranty they would send out a free replacement module to a repairer of your choice. I had to convince them I ran my own electronics business before they would supply me one directly though.
I replaced that with a 42" LCD through Toshiba - again a staff deal but this time part of a redundancy deal. Again there were some issues out of warranty but again they sorted out repairs free of charge and without argument. The only issue with this was when they asked for the serial number, I had to tell them it said "pre-production television - not for retail" instead of the serial ...... that confused them somewhat.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Toshiba didn't give a monkey about my netbook when I had a problem with it a while back. First thing they said to me was "Er sir, it's out of warranty so we can't help you".
Angry
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Different part of the company unfortunately Sad
When Toshiba Televisions were manufactured in Plymouth they used to be a great company.