Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Rip-off' charges for paying by card to be banned

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

'Rip-off' charges for paying by card to be banned

And not before time, albeit from next January when we'll see an end to those added on fees just because we pay by card.

It's about time those testicle squeezers were brought to book.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/jul/19/charges-paying-card-banned-flights-tax-bills

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
21 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: 'Rip-off' charges for paying by card to be banned

So PN will not charge £1.50 for using my card to pay my bill , cant wait till January Thumbs Up

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

Add to the list of stealth travel costs, the airports which charge drivers for dropping off passengers. There's no real cost to the airport, it's just price gouging.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Hero

@rongtw

"So PN will not charge £1.50 for using my card to pay my bill , cant wait till January" 

Not unlike them charging me an extra £2.50 a month for not having a phone line with them. Roll eyes

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Minivanman
Hero

@AlaricAdair

"Add to the list of stealth travel costs, the airports which charge drivers for dropping off passengers. There's no real cost to the airport, it's just price gouging"

Cartels in all their disgusting glory.

Did I read or hear somewhere about tap water not being available on aircraft, but an overpriced bottle of water was? 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

These charges should have been scrapped years ago.

Some holiday firms charge 2% and we all know the cost of holidays.

One airline was planning to charge a £1 for the use of the toilets on the aircraft but never introduced it as they realised some men might think of alternative solutions like one well known french actor

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

How do they justify that @Minivanman

does it cost them more to install with no phone ?  or was it a dick turpin idea Shocked

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

all that will happen is that prices will increase to cover the removal of the charge.
so now everyone will pay more rather than just the card payers. everyone's a winner huh.
Minivanman
Hero

@rongtw

How indeed and not to drift off topic, but I'm following that one up.

I'm told that it's to make up for their loss? Something like that anyway but call it what you like, I see it as an unfair addition given that I'm paying already paying extra for FTTP - albeit a good deal for an excellent system.

Minivanman
Hero

@chenks76

"All that will happen is that prices will increase to cover the removal of the charge.
so now everyone will pay more rather than just the card payers. everyone's a winner huh"

Well yes, but better for charges to be in one box as it were and not tucked away. Sure the books will balance in their favour but at least what you see is what you get and how interesting it will be to see how any increase is justified.

Anyways, it's all about fairness and accountability yes?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

am i right in saying that this was only applied to "credit" cards and not "debit" cards?
i know that's definitely the case for the DVLA (who are mentioned as being affected).

so us who pay by debit card will be affected by possible price increases but because credit card payments had a surcharge - now that doesn't seem fair.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

You are sadly mistaken

All Plusnet need to do is the same as my utility company - increase the charges by £1.50 and introduce a discount for paying by direct debit

RobPN
Aspiring Pro

chenks76 wrote:
am i right in saying that this was only applied to "credit" cards and not "debit" cards?.

IME it was mostly the case that credit card payments invoked a surcharge with no extra for paying by debit card, but it now seems that an increasing number of companies also put a surcharge on debit cards, albeit sometimes a lesser amount.

Community Veteran

It will be the previous non surcharge paying customers subsidising those credit card payers.

I'm already fed up subsidising new plusnet customers. Now I expect to be subsidising many more.

A good excuse to bump up prices and profits at the customers expense.

With one of the biggest offenders, the government, leading the charge.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Under the Thatcher governments it was declared illegal to charge extra for credit card payments so we've gone full circle.

I used to pay my council tax on line by credit card, but once we got a Labour council they introduced a fee of 2.5%.

Somewhat oddly, the company that manages this development charges £2 if we pay our 'service' charges by DD while the utilities companies give a 6% discount for monthly DD payments (probably because they can help themselves to totally unrealistic 'estimated' sums from your account, and when you leave you have to ask for the overpayments back).

If there is to be a fee of any kind, it should relate directly to the cost incurred by the payee, in the same way that the extortionate overdraft fees have had to be 'revised' by the banks.