cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right to die

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Right to die

I see that Lord Carey has changed his mind over the right to die and now supports the idea but years ago these decisions were made by medical staff without reference to the patient or relatives and anyone who has ever worked in a hospital caring for elderly terminal I'll patients in constant pain will be familiar with Brompton Cocktail that was prescribed  and given PRN (As required) by nursing staff.
This system was stopped because it hastened  death but equally reduced much of the pain and discomfort ,
Perhaps it's something that should be reintroduced but with the added clause that people would be given the option of this if they ever got a condition that warranted this course of action.
14 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Right to die

It is such a delicate subject, that will have varied opinions from all angles
If it were solely up to me & I had a condition that meant that I would never be able to function without the aid of a life support machine, then yes I think I would like to have the right to die
On the other hand I know it would be extremely hard (if not neigh on impossible) & emotional for family / friends to make a decision either way, on my behalf
Community Veteran

I Have always thought it odd that the majority of religious people irrespective of their religion are totally against the right to die even though it could mean a great deal of suffering for either themselves or others, life is of course precious but for any religious person the next life is claimed to be that much better.
Fixes: 47

Religions generally teach that your actions in this physical life are your preparations for the spiritual life afterwards.
Maybe taking your physical life disqualifies you from a place in the spiritual world.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

You could be right no one has ever come back and told us  Smiley

That we know of.....
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

many years ago when one of my relies was dying of cancer his nurse was asked to square things away, a few days later she gave the family the nod in the morning and he was able to drift away gently in his sleep that afternoon, everyone know he has died from an overdose probably a month or two before he would of expired on his own (skipping all the pain side of things) but his death cert said natural causes as it was the don't thing back then ......
added
I should probably mention this circumstance predates the shipman affair by a few decades and only applied to cases where there was at least two healthcare professionals involved and the prescriber was not allowed to administer the fatal dose as it were
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I have no real objection in principle to assisted suicide, provided it is thoroughly researched on each subject.
But one thing does intrigue me, if voluntary euthanasia is such an allegedly painless "easy" operation to carry out; how come the Americans can make such a botch-up of some chemical executions? 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nanotm
Pro

perhaps because they try to overcomplicate everything
a simple 100cc syringe full of morphine all injected at once would cause the exact same end result and wouldn't cause the victim to suffer either .....
then again it also wouldn't require 100 people to be involved in the whole process either......
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew
<snip> how come the Americans can make such a botch-up of some chemical executions? 

Wasn't there a moderately recent discussion on that subject ?Huh
Community Veteran

I agree with assisted dieing and have informed my executors of my position.
I have just made a post in the organ donor thread but it is as relevent here so I am repeating it again.
My wishes are stated in my Will and also in my Lasting Power of Attorney (health and welfare). Furthermore my attorneys are fully aware of my wishes. If I make periodic changes I keep everybody informed.
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
a simple 100cc syringe full of morphine all injected at once

Seems sensible but I can't help thinking that many things go wrong. Like removing wrong arms, legs, kidneys etc in operations.
A nurse / doctor walking into a crowded ward of very sick people with the "death needle" poised in hand. Something would go wrong eventually.
It would be inevitable, then what?

Collateral damage....?
/coat
nanotm
Pro

@bnb
I suspect that's why it was only an option for home care patients in the past, those who were in hospital couldn't get "dosed" when the time.
Community Veteran

Quote from: billnotben
Quote from: nanotm
a simple 100cc syringe full of morphine all injected at once

Seems sensible but I can't help thinking that many things go wrong. Like removing wrong arms, legs, kidneys etc in operations.
A nurse / doctor walking into a crowded ward of very sick people with the "death needle" poised in hand. Something would go wrong eventually.
It would be inevitable, then what?
As mentioned in my original post the way forward is to administer a cocktail of drugs which would  ease the pain and discomfort but not actually kill someone so if a mistake was made and the wrong person given the drug then there is less chance of lasting damage being done, most drugs  are given by trained nurses and a second nurse must also be present when drugs are administered and a record kept of when they are given and by whom..  Errors can still occur but those involved in such errors are accountable for their actions and in the case of trained nurse be removed from the register.