Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right to Repair

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Right to Repair

Interested to read this earlier about the 'right to repair' as I'm sure many of us here have been annoyed at not being able to fix something because of access or not being able to get to the spares needed because your washing machine is 'out of date'. 

Built in obsolescence of course, but now some good news that it might all actually change and no, we don't have to be a member of the EU to do so. Wink 

Biggest bugbear, not having the right shaped screwdriver bit.

Example, replacing the rear stop light on my Fiesta which needed one of those star shaped bits to get the cover off.

Blimey, as if was not bad enough when they went over to those phillips/pozi drive screws! 

74 REPLIES 74
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 120

Re: Right to Repair

Very often it's not the non availabilty of spares but the cost, especially if a 'professional' has to attend and fix things. It's very often cheaper to scrap and start again.

If.you go on to Screwfix you will find that for very little money you can get every screwdriver bit shape you will ever need. Buy a set and you will be set up for life.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

My Skoda uses those star socket screws....  for the number plate light...got my tame mechanic to remove them and replace them with philips/pozidrive self tappers ... now I can change them when they blow, instead of a day in the workshop. ! !  ..

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman wrote:

Blimey, as if was not bad enough when they went over to those phillips/pozi drive screws! 

When a Phillips Is Not a Phillips!

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

@Baldrick1 wrote:

If.you go on to Screwfix you will find that for very little money you can get every screwdriver bit shape you will ever need. Buy a set and you will be set up for life.

You could set yourself up as a "Repairman"  ..... !  Cheesy

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

@shutter wrote:

My Skoda uses those star socket screws....  for the number plate light...got my tame mechanic to remove them and replace them with philips/pozidrive self tappers ... now I can change them when they blow, instead of a day in the workshop. ! !  ..

@shutter 

I think I'd have stuck with the original screws as you're less likely to cause damage to the heads caused by the driver slipping. Wink

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 120

@shutter wrote:

@Baldrick1 wrote:

You could set yourself up as a "Repairman"  ..... !  Cheesy

Set myself up? Many friends and relatives already see me in that role!

Highlighted
Fixes: 415

We are talking about Torx fixings. I have a set and used one to dissemble a dead hard drive yesterday evening.

The set has only been used about 4 times but I'm a bit of a tool addict.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 74.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

On seeing the link @RobPN posted above brought to mind the time I went fix a Bang and Olufsen TV for a customer who droned on and on telling me about the cost and the superior quality of it. So being a git I took great pleasure in bursting his bubble when I told him  and showed him it was nothing more than a re-badged Philips.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

I appreciate the difference @RobPN , unfortunately my screwdrivers do not which is why I and I suspect many others tend to lump them together. I now have a choice of three types of screwdrivers in my toolbox and never ever do I get the right one first. Perhaps they should be colour coded? 

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Anonymous 

Not unlike car engines then. Wink

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

@Strat wrote:

We are talking about Torx fixings.

Some of the VW star-bolts I've come across (i.e. VAG including Skoda) have heads with 12 'points' on them, although I wouldn't know if that was the case with the presumably small size @shutter  was referring to.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

I appreciate the difference @RobPN , ...

Thumbs_Up

No malice intended, I was just pointing out what a minefield it can be.  Wink

Highlighted
Pro

The one missing off that list that catches people out is JIS.

Japanese Industrial Standard that is.

It's included in the list here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

It looks like a Phillips, but it ain't one. And if the screw is tight the wrong screwdriver will strip the head out.

Found on Japanese kit. Cameras, lenses, motorbikes, probably cars and lots of stuff.

But good news about stuff being more fixable. Of course if they wanted to most stuff could be made like a normal PC, and the parts could more or less "plug in" and use standard screws.

I'm not holding my breath. . .

Just to add, that someone once said to me "I wish I could mend stuff like you can"

And I said back "And I wish I could afford to pay somebody else to mend stuff"  Smiley

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

@Minesapint wrote:

The one missing off that list that catches people out is JIS.

Japanese Industrial Standard that is.

You must have missed it, it's listed at point 10 of the list I linked.  Wink