cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right, Sir Humphrey let's see you read my post now

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Right, Sir Humphrey let's see you read my post now

I've just set up an unlimited traffic VPN to an "anonymous" server company who claim 200,000 IP ports. That'll give the nosy parkers something to think about! All traffic passing through my ISP will be encrypted and give no indication of web sites visited or who I'm chatting with online.  The setup process took about 10 minutes and just a few pounds per month.

I'm actually of the persuasion that I have nothing to hide and don't mind the authorities peeking, I'd even give them access if they ask nicely. My reason for VPN is to make sure I can see the $US prices rather than GBP.

However it does demonstrate the utter futility of the legislation forcing the ISPs to record all the IP traffic meta-data for individual customers.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Re: Right, Sir Humphrey let's see you read my post now

What is an "IP port" exactly? Was it supposed to mean "IP address"? IP does not have ports as such.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

but each outlet onto the internet / port would have its own ip address...

@AlaricAdair how can you even be sure they're telling the truth? - Their website may say so.. but anyone can put up a website with some impressive text. Unless you see the physical hardware yourself you'll never know. Further it may well be run by the CIA or GCHQ themselves!

I am surprised that you are so trusting to be honest. Your traffic to the vpn provider may be encrypted but somewhere it is decrypted.. and that is the perfect place for data capture by.. well whoever.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
DaveyH
Pro

You could always setup your own on a VPS. Or there are several COLOs that will host Raspberry Pis for you. Both cheap and more trustworthy than some commercial VPNs

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

200,000 IP addresses is a big block as I assume that this may be what was meant. There are 65535 ports available to an address starting at 1 with port 80 being an example but the first 1024 are reserved for common services. For me I would view with a raised eyebrow a technology firm that can't use the proper terminology to define their offerings to their customers.

Just on principle I would advise you to be cautious and watch your account used to pay for this service, if there is nothing untoward then all the better but it doesn't do any harm to be vigilant.

DaveyH
Pro

AlaricAdair wrote:

However it does demonstrate the utter futility of the legislation forcing the ISPs to record all the IP traffic meta-data for individual customers.

I wouldn't get used it. May will have them blocked/banned under the new regime....