cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Richard Todd has Died

Community Veteran

Richard Todd has Died

British actor Richard Todd has died aged 90.  He was best known for his role in 'The Dam Busters'.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8394977.stm
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Richard Todd has Died

Sad for his family and friends of course.
But didn't care for him much - about 1990 I watched an interview with him and he came across as very much of a snob and arrogant guy.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Unfortunately, many English actors of his era were just that. It was almost impossible to become an actor without a Eaton/Harrow education/background/accent.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

It seems to have been a requisite for the job in those days.  Wonder how Michael Caine would have faired Smiley
Two of my favourites from this ere were Wilfred Hyde White and Robert Morley.
Community Veteran

Maybe one shouldn't listen to the actors - just watch their work.
On of my favourites was Kenneth Moore - especially in films like:
A Night to Remember, Battle of Britain, The Bismark, and of course the Forsyte Saga.
But I rather like Anthony Quayle; the very first film I remember watching in the cinema was Ice Cold in Alex.
I actually meet him once at Iveroran Hotel - on the West Highland Way - near Bridge of Orchy - we were camped by the bridge, went into the hotel for dinner and met him in the bar.
next morning whilst we had breakfast - he came walking past , stopped and had a chat.
Then about 3 months latter - he was filming on Liverpool Street station and my pal who had been with us - saw him, stopped to watch - and he went out of his way to walk over to speak to my pal, being very friendly.

Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Wonder how Michael Caine would have faired

Yes, Michael Caine is a bit of an anomaly in this company coming from a very poor background. He's also a good bit younger than Richard Todd's era. I suspect he wouldn't have fared that well with that accent. Mind you he could play cut-glass accents as well -Zulu and A Bridge Too Far-

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

In his early career he only had one character - Michael Caine.  He was a bit like Sean Connery.  Whatever role he plays seems to have a Scottish accent Smiley
N/A

I've always quite liked the upper crust English accent and it is one of the reasons that I love old black and white films.
Who can forget Celia Johnson in Brief Encounter? It was all so civilized and 'English'.
As for Richard Todd, well, have enjoyed watching his films too.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
He was a bit like Sean Connery.

Quite right, it doesn't matter how he was dressed (Bond or King Richard in Robin Hood, Bridge too Far or Indiana Jones dad) he played(s) everything exactly the same. The most successfully over-rated actor of his era. Wouldn't mind but in the end he's not that good an actor. Roger Moore is another in the same mould.

N/A

Quite a few actors play the same no matter what the character.
When there is a John Wayne film on TV I always say that it's John Wayne  playing John Wayne.
There was very little difference in any of his films except for the story line.
nadger
Rising Star

And we mustn't forget that great swashbuckler Errol Flynn.
Fixes: 47

Didn't he have a reputation for having Undecided................
Hmmmm maybe not here Embarrassed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Yes! but as you say not here.

Community Veteran

It's a wonder he found time for acting Wink
Community Veteran

With respect to his army of female fans, he didn't find much time to hone his acting skills