cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rice and Maggots

Fixes: 47

Rice and Maggots

Sorry if you are having a late lunch but why do grains of rice when boiled end up looking like maggots.
Is Mother Nature telling us something, like we shouldn't eat rice or Maggots are ok to eat.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Rice and Maggots

mine don't - I suppose it depends on how long you boil them (this is with aged basmati rice)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

You do the rice... I`ll do the Tapioca ..  then the maggots can eat the frogspawn  Cheesy

My late wife could have given me a master-class on cooking rice...but I didn't listen Embarrassed
Mine usually gets 15 minutes simmer than a drain in a colander and rinsed with boiling water.
It is Basmati but not the Tilda quality she used.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I've never liked rice anyway so looking like maggots doesn't worry me lol.
I've never understood the stuff. It's not native to this country yet our people eat it as if its supposed to be part of our natural diet. Same with bananas..
I'm better with our traditional foods. I could never get to grips with anything else.. Rice just tastes plain and wrong!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I use Badshah Royale Premium Basmati Rice - I got a 10kg sack from my local Tesco but it looks as though that has been replaced by Badshah Superior Aged Basmati Rice

Quote from: 7up
It's not native to this country yet our people eat it as if its supposed to be part of our natural diet. Same with bananas..

Same with the potato.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Thats foreign? - So how come you can pick up a sack of them at the garden centre / farm shop?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

The word "potato" may refer either to the plant itself or to the edible tuber. In the Andes, where the species is indigenous...........

Rice and Bananas can be grown in this country but as you say are not 'native' to the UK.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: 7up
Rice just tastes plain and wrong!
There is a huge variety of rice out there. With old plain white stuff you could add flavours to it. It is a big part of my diet. What is wrong about rice? I can think of far worse ( imho ) wrongs like Lidl selling Moose Steaks lol
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Reminds me of the popular main courses at the school canteen many years ago. We used to call it boiled Lassie with Maggots or plain Maggot Balls.  It was pork meatballs with boiled rice as part of the meatball to bulk it out all in a tomato sauce. There were those who'd refuse to eat them if someone mentioned  we thought we'd seen some wriggling. I was the runt of a large family so eating the maggot balls was no problem. The sauce had another nick name, but I won't go there.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Chicken flied lice... Grin