Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reviews Customer Ratings

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Reviews Customer Ratings

What do you think about them? I mean those like Amazon publish, which multiply the number of 5 star reviews by and so on, then divide by 15 and give a rating out of 5.

I was looking for something and two different models of  what I need from the same maker were listed, both with the same score, yet with the published figures converted to %ages, it was clear that the star ratings' distribution was way from similar. What value such schemes have must be debatable, as a 5 star item is most unlikely to be 5x better than a 1 star.

In the end you may as well toss a coin. Do you feel as I do, and what would be a more scientific way of scoring: if there is one?Undecided

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Reviews Customer Ratings

I usually ignore the 5 star and 1 star ratings and look mainly at the 2,3 and 4 star as they usually gives a more balanced judgement

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I don't think you can pay much attention to the ratings given for most things as the item in question, say a camera, computer, batteries etc might be given a 5 star rating within a few days after the purchaser gets it but a real rating can only be made once you have had the item for a certain period of time.

I accept there are exceptions to this and in such cases the rating may be more accurate.

The best you can hope for is to use websites to review the item and see if this corresponds to the Amazon rating but there are instances where some sites only show positive ratings and do not show posts critical of the product.

None of the above really addresses the question asked in the op but suggests any type of scoring system will be so inaccurate that it's not worth considering.

Community Veteran

The ratings on ebay are a crock.

As many of the buyers leaving them fail to understand the difference between feedback and product ratings.

Luzern
Pro

Oldjim wrote:

I usually ignore the 5 star and 1 star ratings and look mainly at the 2,3 and 4 star as they usually gives a more balanced judgement

At either end there is more chance of plants, false euphoria or unrealistic expectation, might that be your thought process? With many things that is mine. Skeptical not cynical I hope.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Pro

gleneagles wrote:

I don't think you can pay much attention to the ratings given for most things as the item in question, say a camera, computer, batteries etc might be given a 5 star rating within a few days after the purchaser gets it but a real rating can only be made once you have had the item for a certain period of time.

I accept there are exceptions to this and in such cases the rating may be more accurate.

The best you can hope for is to use websites to review the item and see if this corresponds to the Amazon rating but there are instances where some sites only show positive ratings and do not show posts critical of the product.

None of the above really addresses the question asked in the op but suggests any type of scoring system will be so inaccurate that it's not worth considering.

There are somethings where like OJ disregarding extremes seems sensible. IMO it does with hotel reviews too, but with there I feel there's a need to give less weight to old reviews and feedback.

A bit OT, but I am wary of being influenced by names (I bought it because it's a XYZ), when the last purchase was a while back. The name may have changed ownership

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@Luzern

Here is a question for you.

If a review showed that out of 1273 pople 77.8 had given that firm a one star rating would you use that firm ?

If you say no then why are you using that firm. ?

These figures are on trust pilot and refer to Plusnet.

So that comes back to the original question of how accurate/inaccurate reviews can be.

Luzern
Pro

Maybe that question is somewhat unreal; a current and long term user I can never be in the position of a punter for internet connectivity. I arrived in or just after dial-up on my son-il's recommendation, as it happens.

Doing one's own research, getting recommendations from friends with true knowledge is the best way to proceed with any purchase. Reading reviews and feedback should be secondary. In all cases rose-tinted specs are to be avoided.

As to those scores, they may have some value, but statistically i think  they're suspect. As to TrustPilot, I may be showing bias, but I'd rather take the train!

Fixes: 124

I ignore all scores and star ratings and randomly read some reviews but I bear in mind that most reviews will probably be very subjective.

With the Consumer Contract regulations if I am not happy within the first two weeks of receiving the goods I do have the option of returning the items if purchased online so feel more relaxed about purchases made that rather rather than in a shop.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still