cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverse parking sensor kit - recommendations please

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Reverse parking sensor kit - recommendations please

OK... we`re having fun pimping my ride..... so how about a reverse parking sensor kit..... I park my car on the front of our house, (where the garden used to be) it is "just" big enough to accomodate the car, without interfering with the pavement,... and I have about 2 feet max behind the car and the window cill... ( I did manage to dent that old blue skoda once, because I was in a hurry)... not wishing to do the same... as a temporary measure, I have stuck a strip of 1" X 1" timber slat to the concrete with  ......... Blutack.... !   Cheesy (Yeah I know, I don`t expect it to last long.) .. to give me a "feel" when the rear wheels touch it....... hence my posting on here about reversing sensors..
Been on Ebay...  and there seems to be a diverse amount to look at,.... some seem to have ALL the wiring with them... and a "box" and a "display" and anything from 4 to 8 sensors... and prices range from 99p ( no bids)  to above £30 buy it now...
It has been suggested to me that I go to the local bike shop, Halfords, and get them to fit one of their kits ! ! ! .. however.. I have never liked Halfords for over half a century of driving, and don`t think I would trust a shop assistant to fit something to my new car...!
I do have a "tame mechanic" who I trust 100% to do work on the car for me... so most likely, I will opt for him to do the job.... He is due to come around and discuss the maintainence programme for the car, a week on Tuesday... So I can mention it to him then, and see what he says....
/Meanwhile,.... has anyone on the forum, experience of "self fitting"..... how easy... did it work.... what did it cost.. what was in the box.... what make/model/type    
In fact... any useful info you can share ?
Thanks....
and keep pimping ! ! !   Shocked
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Reverse parking sensor kit - recommendations please

I had reverse sensors fitted by this company: http://www.dolphin-direct.co.uk/category/standard-reverse-parking-sensors
They are brilliant. You can buy them and fit them yourself DIY. However having looked at it for sometime before boring the holes for the individual sensors, decided that the professional fit was the best way. Very glad I did, not only was I measuring up for wrong place, I was planning on dismantling the rear of the car to do it.
The mobile fitter (he comes to you) knew precisely how it was done, the only item on the car moved was the cover over the left rear light cluster to get a power line off the reversing lamp.
They have multi colour choice for the sensors, none of which matched my car, but that didn't matter as he was happy to exchange them for black as they were fitted into the black bumper strip. It was an education to watch an expert in action.
If you want sensors, this is the way to go, but bite the bullet and have them fitted.,  
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
TORPC
Grafter

My sensor is, when you feel a bang / bump you know when to stop Tongue lol
Seriously though, I bought a set from Woolworths a few years ago, for about £30 IIRC, sorry (can't remember the make) however they were extremely easy to fit on the LDV 400 series, after needing a quarter meter extra cable.
& they are still going strong
I suppose with the car, it will differ as routing under the plastics / carpet / seats / panels in boot etc, to take into account when planning the route of the cables
That said if you get one without just Chinese instructions (you should be good to go) Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Purchased one of these,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Car-Reversing-Rear-View-Kit-Night-Vision-Camera-7-TFT-Moniter-ada...
Quite happy with it as the screen also displays lines at different distances so you know exactly how far back to reverse.
However 2 points to keep in mind if you go for this one, first you will need to be able to identify the reversing light wire in your car and solder one of the leads on to it, scotch locks are provided but I am not keen on using them.
The other point is the camera which fits on front mirror of your car also serves as a mirror, the camera requires a power source so I simply routed the wiring out of sight and plug it into the cigarette lighter socket.
I Had thought about using the sensor system but I would rather see what was going on behind me,
What ever you fit will proved to be useful. 
gromittz
Grafter

The kits from Halfords...
Parking Sensors can be fitted at your home or place of work (additional cost). Please add the sensor & fitting option to your basket. A voucher will be delivered to you detailing the process of arranging the fitting with a professional installer at your convenience
I'm not a great fan of Halfords either.
Your  "tame mechanic" may cope just fine, but I'd go with a professional supply and fit company any day.
Community Veteran

I was never sure if I wanted sensors or not. As a coach driver I regularly reverse 42ft coaches in to tight parking spaces to within 12 inches of a wall behind without assistance. However I have difficulty judging the clearance behind me in my hatchback car <its all to do with the over-hanging bits that you can't see in the mirrors>
The first sensors I tried were (from Halfords) the type that take the place of the number plate fixing with a new bolt on mount. These have just two sensors one each side of the number plate (sorry I can't remember what they were called. They fitted perfectly on my Mondeo at the time, but the number plate cavity on my Avensis proved to be too small for it and was never fitted.
However, they worked quite well, but had limited corner "view". but I was bitten by the reverse sensor bug, and will always have them fitted if a car came without them (I could probably do it myself now having watched an expert)

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I must admit I would make your temporary method permanent as I don't trust all these electronic gismos   Roll eyes
i have a similar system in the garage - a string hanging down from the roof beam with a rubber bung attached at a point where it hits the rear window at the point I need to stop
TORPC
Grafter

The simplistic of measures cam be most effective Wink
Community Veteran

Well, thanks for the info so far.... interesting.. Will see what my tame mechanic says... ( he may well have fitted some before now ... )  about using a "professional" company to supply and fit...
Yes Jim.... had thought of that.. (drilling holes and plugging them to screw down the batten.)  however.. winter is coming.. and it might well present a trip hazard, especially to er indoors who is "unstable" on her feet, due to arthiritis in the knees, and if it were covered in snow, ( or dark.... or both.... ) .  it could be worse.... No problem on my side as I get out and go straight to the front door, however she has to come around the back of the car to enter the house....
Not sure she would approve of a "gantry" from the house wall, to suspend a tennis ball from ! !    Cheesy
PowerLee
Rising Star

Petlew - the reversing sensor kit you mention is the Meta Targa SR2, I have it fitted on my car.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

No idea if such a thing exists but I wonder if there is anything you could fit on the wall that would either flash brightly or make a noise once an object got to within a certain distance of it ?
Community Veteran

Was looking on ebay... and saw this...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reverse-Rear-Parking-Sensor-Aid-Kit-with-Audio-Buzzer-Alarm-4-Reversing-Se...
which seems to be quite comprehensive...
Not sure about where to put the "half moon" display thingy though... ( maybe close to the windscreen on top of the dash)... (*it is quite deep )...
@ gleneagles... The 4" display model would, again, present a problem of where to stick that screen...
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
<snip>
Not sure she would approve of a "gantry" from the house wall, to suspend a tennis ball from ! !    Cheesy

Then you have to watch out for the neighbours cats or dogs, as they jump up & try & catch the swinging tennis ball Wink
Community Veteran

Quote from: PowerLee
Petlew - the reversing sensor kit you mention is the Meta Targa SR2, I have it fitted on my car.

Quite right it was. I well remember the bloody fingers and knuckles the "simple fit" created.
The problem is that the number plate on most hatch-backs is on the hatch itself, which means the power lead needs to get to one of the reversing lights which are usually in the rear "wing corners", this means tracing the lead up the inside of the hatch skin and through the flexible concertina rubber tube that carries the other electrical services such as the number plate lights. The rubber tube takes on an "S" shape, the opening is hidden behind some of the sharpest edged panels imaginable, trying to get the lead through the double bend rubber tube was something that took me three days of trying at various intervals, and what seemed a blood transfusion gone wrong.
In the finish I selotaped some cotton wool to the end of the lead soaked it heavily with washing up liquid, it then slipped through so easily I wondered what all the fuss was about. After that it was just a matter of feeding the lead down through the corner body panels to the light cluster.
I might add, that the instructions show a saloon car that has the number plate and lights on the same rear panel, making that job a doddle..

Community Veteran

You already have the best "sensor" for front garden / garage with the length of wood.
My bugbear with parking is the alloy wheel scraping one when you park next to the old style vertical kerb.
This can be a problem unless you have fat tyres.
Depending on the angle I'm reversing I occasionally  find this difficult to judge.
A parking sensor kit wouldn't help me with that.
Quote from: gleneagles
flash brightly or make a noise once an object got to within a certain distance of it

Like these sort of things "garage sensors".
Looking at shutters picture this could probably fit inside the houses window as they are supposed to be distance adjustable.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/parking-sensor-traffic-light-type-for-garage-wall-mount-reduced-to-clear-/...