cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reupholster or replace ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Reupholster or replace ?

We have had our current suite for longer than I care to remember so the time has come to either replace or reupholster the curent one,
neither option is cheap so a mistake would be costly.
Plumbs of Preston seem to be a big firm with a good reputation.
Anyone any thoughts on this topic which I accept is unusual for a forum with few members of the opposite sex.
Smiley
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Reupholster or replace ?

Throw some blankets over 'em, then they can look as awful as they like underneath... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

We've used Plumbs a couple of times before to good effect. It really depends on the underlying quality of your furniture framework.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

First question that comes to mind... having had the furniture for so long... is it still in "usable" and "comfortable" condition? ( apart from the covering)... i.e.. springs and cushioning still in good condition?
I doubt it... probaly sags a bit... !.. and the backrest has probably got permanent "dents" in it too...
Second question,... does it "fit" in your current decorative state ... i.e.  it did when you bought it... and since then.....  ? ? ?  how many times have you redecorated and still got that same old furniture?
Third question... if the other two questions are letting you down.... then why bother with a new cover ?  
go for a new suite,  and sit back and relax in up to date comfort...
itsme
Grafter

None of the questions are valid. Reupholstering is more than putting a new cover on.
beeceegee
Rising Star

When we looked at getting our 3-piece re-upholstered (not loose covered) last year it was working out more expensive than replacing with the same make new, with the deals the shop was offering. These were Collins & Hayes so not cheap. In the end we went to John Lewis and got a perfectly decent 3-piece for a quarter of the price.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: itsme
None of the questions are valid. Reupholstering is more than putting a new cover on.

Which was the point I was making by asking the questions....  Roll eyes
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

If the frame is ok , as you say you had it a number of years Get it recovered  as the you dont know if the next frame will last as long  Wink
Older frames are made of better quality materials  Cool
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

Thanks for the responses, I guess the first step is to get an estimate for reupholstering and compare how much more I would need to spend for a new suite.
The present one is 14 years old but is clearly good quality as there are no sags or springs gone, the problem with getting a new one, even a well known brand is no guarantee it will be good quality as competition is so fierce that even companies known for quality will do everything to reduce costs.
Community Veteran

It IS fire resistant? Huh
Faizan786
Grafter

Go to a fabric shop 50p/1£ a metre place, get fabric and replace the covers, got sofa for 11 years now and easily clean too.
Community Veteran

A 'consultant' called to day to give us a quote for reupholstering a 3 piece suite, all the usual jargon of this is a good month to get it done as we have a sale on, after measuring everything up and allowing for the discount guess how much £4,350, lucky I don't have a dodgy heart.
Perhaps it was my hearing but no as she had written the price down so no mistake.
We declined this very generous offer and went along to a fairly large furniture store in Chorley where new G plan and Parker Knoll 3 piece suites were on sale for between £ 2,000 to £ 3,000 This appeared to be the most expensive range with other suites on offer below £ 1,000.
Makes me wonder why anyone would want a suite reupholstered unless it had some sentemental or special value.
Community Veteran

That price doesn't surprise me. What surprises me is that the company does any business Wink
Community Veteran

We had a couple of comfy arm chairs from a suite, showing their age after 15 year. A local upholstery company charged us £350 each to restuff, recushion and respring the chairs. Essentially they stripped back to the wooden frame. Now as good as new.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.