Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returning those gifts

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Returning those gifts

Easy enough to buy stuff online, but try taking it back to the store for a refund and see what happens.

Took an item back to Debenhams yesterday but they refused to give a refund because we "did not have the delivery note that came with it" - we did however have a copy of the order, a confirmation, the invoice, and the card used to purchase the item. The reason we did not have the delivery note was because it had been sent to my daughter's address as it was a pressie for the Mrs but here's the rub, they would exchange it -  but only at the new reduced price by £10.

How does that work? If a return is valid with one lot of proof as long as the refund is reduced, how is it invalid with the same proof for a full refund? Fortunately my daughter used to work for this outfit and she'll be back there later today to read them the riot act as my Mrs accepted their explanation despite my fuming.

Grrr Knuppel  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
32 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Returning those gifts

Always speak to the Manager... not the shop floor flunkies on customer service if you are not getting what you think you should be getting..

use phrases such as... Trades discriptions act...   sales of goods act..  dropped into your line of conversation, as if you know them backwards... 90 % of shop staff don`t know the law... so you are 90% on your way to bluffing them... you just have to sound convincing.. !

Minivanman
Hero

Indeed shutter, but the bottom line is the goods were not faulty so they do not have to exchange them and only do so out of 'goodwill' - which was sadly lacking. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 125

It seems that they are breaking their own T&C as laid out here.

How do I return to a Debenhams store?

Step 1 -
You will need to take one of the following proof of purchases to any till within the store:
• A print-out or copy of your order confirmation email
• The delivery note
• Your receipt
• Your e-receipt

as well as:
The payment card which you used to purchase with
The product you wish to return or exchange

They also state:

Returns

Returning gifts policy

Items purchased online or in store as gifts from Thursday 20th October 2016 can be returned up until Tuesday 31st January 2017, Exclusions apply also apply.

Our standard returns and refund terms & conditions

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero

I pointed that out to the cashier, but it made no difference Mav. Had I been on my own without the Mrs I'd have stood my ground, but as I did not want to embarrass her...... 

Just so annoying when purchase is so much easier that returns and after a two hour round trip on the bus. Just as well we both had one of those free bus passes! 

As pointed out by shutter, make a bee-line for a manager.

Keep your cool and insist they adhere to their T&C. Bear in mind that they only need to deal with the purchaser.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Minivanman
Hero

Points taken Mav, although their site said somewhere I'm sure that they will also deal with the recipient. We'd be in a right old pickle otherwise if 'Auntie Annie from Alaska' has sent us a pressie she'd ordered on line! Smiley 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Minivanman wrote:

I pointed that out to the cashier, but it made no difference Mav. Had I been on my own without the Mrs I'd have stood my ground, but as I did not want to embarrass her...... 

"Darling would you wait for me in the car while I take care of this?" - thats the better option for you next time lol.

I don't take kindly to these companies that try to wriggle out of refunds. We took a printer back to Tesco ages ago - it was about 8 months old and playing up. In fairness there is no law that says they have to refund at that point and legally they do have the right to repair it.. but that would mean sending it away etc. Anyhow.. they really thought they had got me over the barrel.. unfortunately i'm not the average customer you can mess with and despite them fobbing off the missus who gave up, i walked out of the store asking her to return with her card so they could refund it Thumbs Up

Smyths toys are the latest morons to meet my customer assertiveness and they've just backed down into submission too.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Always useful to go when the shop is full, the more the queue builds up behind you when you argue your case and making the points made by Shutter the better, as people get fed up of waiting and will leave.

Always keep your cool, keep calm be polite and if you have access to one wear one of those,'Hero' cameras, the thought that you are recording what is being said and quoting all the right things almost certainly results in a positive outcome.

Last year one chap in this area stood outside a well known company with a placard stating they would not replace or repair some goods and for good measure phoned the local paper, the problem was soon sorted out to his satisfaction.

Minivanman
Hero

Have to agree, but having the Mrs along does cramp your style and especially mine as she's not one to cause a fuss - unlike myself if I feel I am in the right.

Interesting you should mention about the chap with a placard as I did the same thing some years back when in dispute with a then local garage and yep, had the local paper along as well!

Minivanman
Hero

Well the Mrs is now back from town with item returned, our account credited, and a grovelling apology from Debenhams ringing in her ears with them saying "it should never have happened, really really sorry".

Thanks for all your comments guys Thumbs Up

Excellent result!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Minivanman wrote:

"it should never have happened, really really sorry".

I'd have been an awkward sod and said "Can I have that in writing?"... Funny

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

@Minivanman Did you ask if they would have given a refund at the new higher price in the event of a recent price increase?

Another 'trick' they try is to say they won't give refunds on goods bought in a sale.  I've even seen notices up saying that; as I'm sure you know the law applies equally to sales.

Shops are under no obligation to give refunds except for faulty goods.

Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 shops only have to give full refunds within the first 30 days of purchase.