Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returning ex-pats

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Returning ex-pats

In fact they already are. 

My somewhat younger sibling who retired at the age of 50 (that's the Fire Service for you) is now making plans to return to the UK at the age of 65 after sailing around the Med for the past 15 years, and why? A recently diagnosed dicky heart and an eye-opening stomach churning one month incarceration in a Greek hospital that's why.

We might have a rubbish NHS but it's free, the grub is decent, and you don't according to him get fed boiled chicken leg with pasta followed by what was either sour custard or sweet soup. He's still trying to figure that last one out.

Yep, Brexit is bringing the oldies back to Blighty. Thumbs Up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40095822  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
10 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Returning ex-pats

Some of those expats might be in for a shock when they get a bill for their hospital treatment. 

https://www.surreyandsussex.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Entitlement-to-NHS-Hospital-Treatment-...

Minivanman
Hero

Not so straight forward then. Ouch.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Anonymous
N/A

Not at all straightforward I'm afraid. Sad

Minivanman
Hero

Hopefully it will not affect him as he's not been resident in a country what with being on the boat and all but for those who have been living in say Spain or France for a number of years..... Huh

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

It's interesting that the term expat always get used by Brits and those from our former colonies for that matter, and yet immigrant gets used for everyone else...

DaveyH
Pro

Minivanman wrote:

Yep, Brexit is bringing the oldies back to Blighty. Thumbs Up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40095822  

Brexit just gets better and better Roll eyes

I'd block entry to these parasites...

Minivanman
Hero

Because 'ex-pats' are what they are but immigrants are not?

Anyways, just imagine the kerfuffle if we started to refer to immigrants by their country of origin - but I know what you mean. Britain certainly has an uncomfortable history of discrimination in these matters where the word 'Colony' meant non-white, and Dominion meant white. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

As far as I'm aware, an ex-pat is someone who still has affiliation with their home country, E.G. a home, property or business, whereas an immigrant is someone who has completely upped sticks and moved away from their home country on a permanent basis, so if someone Emigrates to Oz, they're an immigrant in that country, but if someone buys a 2nd home in Spain to live in but still return home, they're an Ex-pat...

DaveyH
Pro

The OED simply defines it as "A person who lives outside their native country"

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/expatriate

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

The words immigrant and emigrant are not heard in the media any more, they are all migrants, and God help anyone who puts economic in front of it.