cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return Address on letter

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Return Address on letter

I will shortly be sending a number of letters to addresses in the UK where I really want to check if the person still lives there.
If I add a return address on the back of the envelope will the post office actually return them to me if they either aren't deliverable at all or where the recipient marks it as not known at this address
18 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: Return Address on letter

what's a 'letter'?
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 47

Something you get from ACS:Law Cheesy
Sorry Jim. Embarrassed
@Adie...you ban me and I'll ban you Cheesy
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

It's what you send when you
a. don't have an email
b. don't have a telephone number
c. what to check that the database is correct as we send out printed documents
/thinks - should I ban 2 moderators for facetious and unhelpful replies  Lips are sealed
Fixes: 105

think Jim might ban both of us (if we're lucky).
anywho.... haven't got a clue as to the answer of the original question.
Will Moderate For Thanks
wisty
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Oldjim
Yes they will - but only if the people at the address tell them to, and mark the envelope not known at this address/return to sender or similar.  The post office will not verify the recipient name at the address - just deliver it.
I always put my address on Christmas card envelopes, and occasionally get one back from someone I have not been in contact with for a while except for the Christmas card exchange. I got one back this year from the USA.
Fixes: 47

We're not the only unhelpful people. I had a look on Royal Mail and they were just about as useful Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Thank you very much Wisty for the helpful reply.  Grin
Re Strat - I already tried the Royal Mail website and as you so accurately say - sod all use  Crazy
Community Veteran

Of course the other solution is for someone to knock on the door and as they are all local that may not be a bad idea,
jmd
Grafter

I regularly put things back in post to the folk who lived here before me - they moved out September 07 - and I still get stuff address to them but whether the post actually returns it I have not got a clue.
I also got a card back in post that I sent to the USA.  I had put my address on back of envelope.  They said it was undeliverable but it has taken since 20/12/10 to arrive back here on 14/1/11.  The intended recipient had moved on 17/12/10 and had notified the USA Mail Office and arranged redirection.  So it is nice to know they are not that efficient in America as well. [I have now sent an e-card as was not paying another pound in postage!].
Community Veteran

The post office actually go to a lot of effort to deliver letters and parcels, to the extent that if a local office fails to be able to deliver a letter, and no return address is given, it's then sent to Belfast where a special sorting office, all of whom have signed the official secrets act, open the letters/parcel looking for any clues about who the recipient or sender and then try to trace them and send the mail on to them.
Denzil
Grafter

As long as the recipient actually puts the letter back in the post marked "return to sender", then Royal Mail will return it.
wisty
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

The other alternative is to buy some credits at 192.com and search the electoral rolls etc..
I used to use them to check up on E-bay sellers etc in the early days when they charged 1p/search and search credits never expired. Now at 35p/search and with credits expiring after 6 months I don't bother.
But 35p IS cheaper than a stamp, envelope, printer ink and the walk to the post box!! Its also a lot cheaper than paying someone to knock on doors!!
Community Veteran

Now that is interesting
The first two I checked without paying anything showed them as being on the electoral role in 2002 but not subsequently
However I was also on the electoral role in 2002 but not subsequently which is incorrect so I suspect it won't help
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
I already tried the Royal Mail website and as you so accurately say - sod all use  Crazy

Ahem. Smiley