cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retro..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Retro..

Inspired by Steves latest avatar (the Atari logo) I suddently found myself thinking back to late 80's / early 90's times and wondering what else used to be common place tech that has faded away.
I remember Atari well. I also remember commodores, amigas and the like.
One of our cars has a very retro looking dashboard (it's a 98 model but could easily pass for something older lol).
What retro stuff do you own or remember?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
25 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Retro..

3 BBC Model 'B's and a ZX81.
Can't seem to find the 16k ram pack so the ZX81 is a bit limited.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Steve
Pro

Quote from: 7up
What retro stuff do you own or remember?
I don't own any retro stuff sadly I get rid of things as I upgrade but wish I kept some of my old things. Atari was my first console!
E.T. cartridges found in infamous Atari landfill.
Evidently, Atari did bury its biggest mistake in the New Mexico desert.
Excavators have found copies of the 1982 Atari 2600 cartridge E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial — a notorious flop blamed for console gaming's collapse a year later — in a dig at an Alamagordo, N.M. landfill on Saturday.
The highly publicized dig, which will be the subject of an upcoming documentary, appears to confirm the story that Atari dumped thousands of unsold E.T. cartridges at the site more than 30 years ago.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/26/5656282/atari-et-landfill-new-mexico-found-cartridges
TORPC
Grafter

I had the most fun with Astro wars, I could hide under the blankets playing it & mum & dad wouldn't know Wink
Used to have a vectrex which one could swap out game cartridges & also have filtered screen with maps on for each game & it was two player with built in monitor & controllers
Then the good old Amstrad CPC6128 which had touchscreen with a pen which was an optional extra
I think there was a thread about the E.T Dig not too many moons ago Wink
Steve
Pro

I also played the game in my link a lot too on my old MSX. Was totally addicted to this game.

TORPC
Grafter

I had to ditch Sonic Spinball as I was so addicted & it turned me verbally violent
Fixes: 123

I wish I hadn't disposed of my BBC B+128 and floppy drives or Archimedes 3000.
Sadly at the time I got rid of them space was at a premium and they were being stored in my parents' garage Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

the spectrum 128k with built in floppy drive and optional tape deck, would of been great to teach the kids how to program on one /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

A 1905 Digital Text Sender...... still works perfectly....  Smiley
TORPC
Grafter

Goes to show the quality of yesteryear was far superior than we have today
Devonian
Grafter

Nokia 3210! ;Wink
And manners.
TORPC
Grafter

They made great tunes, Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

A lot of years ago a radio programme used to broadcast computer programmes to record on to cassette tape, which in theory would produce a usable game or application. Sorry I don't remember any of the radio programme details except it was aired I think on a Sunday evening, and if you kept the volume up it was an entirely annoying series of high-pitched of screeching squeaks and bleeps.
Did anybody ever get one of these "downloads" to work...I didn't.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

I seem to recall getting the odd 1 or 2 to work and I believe they were part of a tutorial series.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 123

Quote from: Petlew
A lot of years ago a radio programme used to broadcast computer programmes to record on to cassette tape...

I seem to remember you could also get programs for the BBC B machines from CEEFAX. Can anyone confirm this?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still