Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retro Sweets

Leapy
Aspiring Pro

Retro Sweets

A friend went to Toronto and brought me back a Nestles Coffee Crisp! Cheesy

This got me thinking about lots of  the  sweets that have disappeared. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_Crisp 

What was your favourites, Spanish wood, coconut tobacco, bar 6, Aztec, etc.? 

chocolate.jpg

The pub is two minutes from my home, although my home is two hours from the pub,
14 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: Retro Sweets

I was always a fan of going in to a confectionery store on my way to school and getting a quarter pound of bon bons ( the white ones ) or monkey nuts. No Starbar in that pic? tragic!!

Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 35

Coffee crisp?? Toffee crisp is one of my favourites.
I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Leapy
Aspiring Pro

@Steve Starbar is still around Smiley https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starbar

The pub is two minutes from my home, although my home is two hours from the pub,
Leapy
Aspiring Pro

Milk Tray Calypso and Luck Numbers Smiley 

Steve
Pro

Blackjacks were all the rage for me too. Not racist it literally made your tongue black lol

Leapy
Aspiring Pro

I'm more your Imp and Fruit Salad, man with a liquorish pipe and a pink prawn and yellow banana chaser Cool 

Steve
Pro

Are imps them skulls with goo inside? sweetie paper was another fun one.

Leapy
Aspiring Pro

Mighty Imps - these are pokey little pellet  sweets, real old fashioned liquorice and menthol pellets just like you used to get from the local sweetshop or the tuck-shop. They may be small but they pack a punch ... And they turn your tongue black too!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Treasure-Island-Sweets-Menthol-Liquorice/dp/B004PXP0AS/ref=pd_sim_325_5?_en...

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I have noticed branches of Mr Simms Olde Sweet Shoppe springing up claiming to sell traditional sweets. I was very disappointed with the Winter Mixture that I bought. The Cough Candy was OK but the rest were disappointing and there was no clove sweet.

The Sherbet Lemons were nothing like the traditional lemon shaped sweets. They appeared to be the same as the disappointing ones which are flat and with very little filling that I had bought previously from the supermarket.

Fixes: 125

I used to love Nutty Cluster. Don't know who made it but it used to stick to the mouth but had a great taste. Not seen that around for years.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I've said this before for me Cabana bars, just the thought of them make be drool.

Fixes: 47

A few years ago I bought some Sherbet Lemons from a retro sweet shop.

They put them in a plain paper bag meaning I only got to eat about a quarter, the rest were stuck to the inside of the bag.

Someone should tell them sticky sweets should be put in waxed paper bags.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@Strat - I don't think it would have done you any harm to suck the paper off and dispose of it. Wink

Fixes: 47

@Mook you are quite correct and with a bit of work I could have separated each sweet from the congealed mass.

I guess I've been spoilt by knowledgeable vendors in my childhood.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation