Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retirement Destination

Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Retirement Destination

Cornwall ?

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/retirement/934342/Cornwall-Tregolls-Lodge-retirement-homes?utm_sou...

I like Cornwall, however getting there by road can be horrendous.

Many years ago, we all went on holiday there, we  went by train, including the car...

Don't know if you can still do that.

Just checked...... NO

"Unfortunately, there are now no motorail trains at all within the UK. 

Motorail trains between London & Scotland ceased in 1995."

And of course a multiple choice of destinations abroad.

New Zealand appeals to myself, never been there.... yet

Canada was nice, lots of relatives there, but we found it was a bit flat.

(Apart from the Mountains up north)

Hong Kong, relatives there too, just a bit too hot & humid.

Florida seems a good option, good climate. WDW

Or just stay in the UK, and turn the Central Heating up !!

Excellent NHS here.

And more holidays.

Cruising anyone ?

Not tried that yet.

Recommendations ?

12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Re: Retirement Destination

New Zealand reminded me of what this country was like years ago, pace of life much slower and plenty of space with towns not as crowded.

Lots of street & road names are similar to here and you could still think you were in the UK until you look up at the night sky.

I suspect for some people it might be too quiet but it would be the place I would wish to live other than here.

The above refers to the north, the south is even less populated, great mountains but I doubt you would want to live there.

Cruise ? Amazed you have never been on one, try a week or 2 in the med, ship sailing at night so you are in a different port every day, I would never want to spend more than a couple of full days at sea, plenty of things to do on board but few of those things appeal to me.

I have never heard anyone who has been on a cruise and complained they had a bad time unless they were ill or got enjoyment out of complaining.

If you do go one thing you will gain which you will not want is a few extra pounds on your waste line.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

For me, it's the good old UK. I've had many a good time here, including a very nice time in the Lake District, South Wales has a lot to offer, the Norfolk Broads (and Alton Broads) are great for a nice cruise round. There's no changing to various currencies so no confusion over spending and some of the beaches around this little country are stunning. 

As for the weather, I once went to Florida and got caught up in a storm, and couldn't get warm in Canada (nice place though). I'll holiday here thank you very much. I can't see the point in going to some far off land just to have a 'full English' at breakfast time,

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Champnet
Pro
Fixes: 1

When we're younger we all have ideas and inspirations of where we'd like to retire, the reality is a lot different.

You need to be near good friends, family don't count as they're probably scattered around the globe.

You need to be within walking distance of the local supermarket, no hills. You need to be near a bus stop that gets you easily to the GP who's been looking out for you & your family for years. You need to be near to a good hospital to treat whatever old age hits you with. There's a lot more but the dreams remain just that..................

I'm content with where I am and what I've got.

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

I'm actually thinking the same things.

The UK has so much to offer, especially an excellent NHS for when we get older.

I have to say, even though we do take many extended foreign holidays, after a few weeks we are usually itching to get back "home"

Perhaps buy a few properties dotted around the UK, for variety.

Tied in with foreign holidays.

I do think a long holiday in New Zealand would be appreciated though.

A cruise..... we have had self service restaurants on foreign holidays, you do put on the pounds though.

I don't think a cruise would be any different.

We currently have a lovely cottage in the Lakes, and a "Castle" in Scotland, just need to fill in the gaps.

But, still keeping options open, and looking....

Perhaps long term rent a property somewhere in Europe, a warm sunny location, definitely not a time share, and with the recent horror stories of people who have bought, that is not an option.

The Costa de Sol in Spain looked nice on a recent travel programme.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Any place can look nice on T.V., but is it showing the reality of living there? Better the devil you know...

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

We retired to west Wales on our return from living and working overseas and sure, it was not as warm but the summer heat did have it's down side when you are starting to get on in years and this part of the world is really peaceful and crikey, we had forgotten how green it could be.

Now ten years into what was for us an early retirement it's thumbs up from us. Thumbs Up

PS. According to a recent survey Mumbles is supposed to be the nicest place to live in Wales and sure, if you don't want to go anywhere as the traffic from Swansea into Mumbles is absolutely and unequivocally horrendous - so 'dim diolch' as they say around here. Crazy2

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

@Champnet

You are spot on with that, how many couples retire to somewhere they have been on holiday and then sadly one passes on and they are left on their own ?

No friends or relatives nearby and neighbours at work all day.

When I retired I often thought of moving to the Lake District a place where I often visit but on reflection it would be a bad mistake (in my case) Many roads solid with traffic during the holiday season, no large supermarkets nearby and could I really be bothered starting from scratch sorting a house and garden out at my age...no chance...I would rather be walking the fells than dreaming about doing so whilst spending time with a house change.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

I guess you need to tick those boxes.

We were able to tick all of ours - near a bus route for when were longer able to drive (free bus pass), near a town and shops (about four miles away), plus of course if a large supermarket shop is required we could at a push of a button order on line. Our three daughters are all less than a hour away (son overseas) so near enough to visit...... and near enough to babysit! 

As for starting from scratch it depends on what it is you want to start. I was still fit at 60 so more than happy to spend the first five years on doing some serious renovation work on our cottage. 

Horses for courses as they say. Smiley 

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Champnet
Pro

I had a plan to do everything I wanted to do before I reached 60 but a serious illness (GBS) struck at 55.

The next bit is obvious : Do whatever you want to do while you can, you never know what’s around the corner....

Fixes: 228

For me it would be the English Riviera. Holidayed there many times and wouldn't be too far from family/firiends in London and East Kent.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

@gleneagles wrote:

@Champnet

No friends or relatives nearby and neighbours at work all day.

When I retired I often thought of moving to the Lake District a place where I often visit but on reflection it would be a bad mistake (in my case) Many roads solid with traffic during the holiday season, no large supermarkets nearby and could I really be bothered starting from scratch sorting a house and garden out at my age...no chance...I would rather be walking the fells than dreaming about doing so whilst spending time with a house change.

Lake District:

We already know many members of the local community, our cottage is looked after by a local married couple.

During recent floods, we did our bit in supporting the local community, well received,

We know the Lakes very well, and are often able to bypass any traffic.

Having a 4x4 helps, and we avoid peak times, and days.

One Bank Holiday, we went for a long walk in a large woods, and saw no-one all day !

A large scale OS map helps !

Jonpe
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Infinity wrote:

We currently have a lovely cottage in the Lakes, and a "Castle" in Scotland, ...

Is your real name Philip (from SW1)?