Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retailer Phones 4u 'Forced Into Administration'

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Retailer Phones 4u 'Forced Into Administration'

http://news.sky.com/story/1335864/retailer-phones-4u-forced-into-administration
Thousands of jobs at Phones 4u are at risk after the retailer says it was forced into administration after network operator EE joined Vodafone in cutting ties with the firm.
The retailer, which employs 5,596 people, says its 550 standalone stores will be closed until the administrators decide on whether the business can reopen for trading.
The company said the decision by EE not to renew its current contract, which is due to end in September next year, was a "complete shock" and meant it would be left without a single network partner after Vodafone said earlier this month that it would not extend its agreement.
Phones 4u says it has a healthy balance sheet with profits of more than £100m, but had no option but to go into administration.

I don't know anything about this but it sounds very odd
Comments on the Telegraph are not very good
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/telecoms/11095462/Phones-...
103 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Retailer Phones 4u 'Forced Into Administration'

What are the underlying causes / decisions for them to be not chosen to be renewed ?Huh
Seems strange to me
Fixes: 102

there's a conspiracy theory of collusion amongst the operators to lessen competition
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/telecoms/11095462/Phones-...
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Quote from: dvorak
collusion amongst the operators to lessen competition

And I expect those same operators will expand the number of their own outlets by buying up Phones 4u shops for a pittance.
Community Veteran

I agree that we'll probably see an increase of network specific shops, but I also predict that we'll see a Compare The Market / USwitch style on-line presence for finding better deals.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Community Veteran

I have to say I never liked their shops. Flash salemen with poor product knowledge.
With 2 major suppliers pulling out from them they really couldn't survive.
Community Veteran

John Caudwell got out at the right time Wink

Quote from: artmo
I have to say I never liked their shops. Flash salemen with poor product knowledge.

same goes for PCW, CPW, the link as was.. there's not much finding what's best for the customer more what's the biggest margin or incentive.
Will Moderate For Thanks
itsme
Grafter

What do these shop offer?
TORPC
Grafter

Good question Wink

jobs?
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Quote from: dvorak
same goes for PCW, CPW, the link as was.. there's not much finding what's best for the customer more what's the biggest margin or incentive.

That was why I was so successful when I worked for PCW - I sold honestly and built up a fantastic reputation with my customers and their friends (and their friends friends etc etc). Customers would come in and ask for me as they knew they would get a good deal and an honest answer to any of their questions.
Ironically I worked for Tandy before them who were then taken over by CPW.
Community Veteran

I've never been a fan of PCW or CFW.
I think all phone operators are moving to running their own shops and websites now. I am with O2 and get good service from the local High Street shop. Of course you have to make up your mind on network operator before shopping Wink
Fixes: 123

I was a little disappointed when T-Mobile cut their ties with CPW a couple of years back. I could bang out a good deal over the phone direct with T-Mobile then simply collect the phone from CPW later the same day.
Not a great problem as any phone is usually delivered the next day anyway.
I've never been too keen on these phone shops as, in my experience, they seem to have been more interested in selling insurance and extras than actually assisting you to find the best phone/deal.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Having worked at PCW (DSG) head office and seen the amount of work that goes on behind the scenes, I'll always try and buy from a DSG owned store if I can. They got a lot of bad press especially with BBC Watchdog targeting them but we worked hard to make sure the products were safe and customers were happy.