cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Results of the new Cyclist road licence exam

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Results of the new Cyclist road licence exam

"I'm sorry Sir, but I'm afraid you have failed your Cyclist road licence exam on the grounds of being medically unfit to ride a cycle on the public roads in the UK. It's an eyesight problem"
"That's total nonsense I'm perfectly fit and health. My Doc passed me a 100% A1 fit. I've never needed to wear glasses in my life."
"Yes Sir, I'm afraid that's the problem. You are able to tell the difference between red and green lights."
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Results of the new Cyclist road licence exam

Sorry Sir, You have failed the Cyclist licence exam because you put one foot on the ground whilst stationary.  Undecided
David_W
Rising Star

As a motorcyclist I try not to put a foot down when I'm, for instance, coming up to a traffic light.  I won't really be moving (ok, I'll be moving at 0.1mph or something really slow, just enough to prevent me falling over).  It's for safety oddly enough, if something happens when you're stopped and have a foot down it'll take longer to get moving away from trouble, but as my foots not on the floor I'm 100% ready to move out of the way if needs be!  It's one of the things the coppers talk about to you on the safety course (and if you ever watch a police motorcyclist at a junction or something you'll notice they don't stop, they balance the bike perfectly).  Not sure how that fits with cyclists but maybe the theory is the same?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

No what they are taking about is the "gymnastics" they do to try and not put a foot down WHILE stopped (if they do) at lights, always makes me LAUGH at them watching them wobble about in front of me.  Grin
As a motorcyclist I am the same as you, approach with the idea that you don't HAVE to stop but if you are stopped LEFT foot down, RIGHT on rear brake (if a modern bike, reverse if an old British bike), although I do the same in the car, coast up to the lights and try not to fully stop, the people who RACE up and then SAVAGELY brake are just wasting money/fuel/brake pads.
Community Veteran

Exactly right HB.... there seems to be an "unwritten rule".... "thou shalt not put a foot down when stationary, at lights or pedestrian crossings ...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Not when I was cycling - I could never balance when stationary or going dead slow  Embarrassed
Community Veteran

still using the stabilizer wheels then?  Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

does drink and cycle apply to old jim.  also can you still carry on with a dodgy shoulder, no wonder he wobbles
Community Veteran

I was thinking along the lines of tricycle but feared what the mod might do with cycle trouser clips.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I love to remind my eldest son who, having driven cars for many years attempted to regain his early youth and bought himself a motor bike. First time he went out on it was stopped by traffic lights, forgot to put his foot down and collapsed in an undignified heap to the amusement of those nearby. Fortunately he wasn't hurt, just some scratched paintwork on the bikes fairing.
I try to ensure (in the nicest possible way) that he doesn't forget.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Need some tips?: http://boy-on-a-bike.blogspot.com/2009/08/absolutely-amazing-cycle-tricks.html
[Edit] here too:
-G6tw&annotation_id=annotation_190125&feature=iv
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

superb camera work in the video.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: AlaricAdair
superb camera work in the video.

Cycling skills not too shoddy either.  I was pleased to find a decent quality with nice camera work on you tube (makes a change from some of what's on there). Cool
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.