cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restrict WiFi Networks

Fixes: 47

Restrict WiFi Networks

I was just browsing around the settings on my Android phone and came across 'Restrict Networks'

Tapping it took me to a list of all WiFi networks where I can restrict access to each one individually.

I can't recall having seen this facility before but was surprised to note there were 50 networks listed.

I recognise about 36 of them but do wonder about the other 14 Undecided

Not asking for any assistance here, just posting out of interest.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Restrict WiFi Networks

It probably doesn't signify much in the UK where you are generally tied to one network supplier per SIM, excepting emergency calls.

However when roaming overseas you can normally connect to the most networks, usually the strongest available. While you might like this concept is it is generally more expensive than connecting to your "own" supplier. Circumstances may arise where you definitely want to restrict access to a network.

We used to restrict access to one provider when we were working in Russia on the grounds of dubious security. 

Edit: I was forgetting the situation of when you are near a national border and you don't want to pickup the neighboring country's network. Northern Ireland and Eire comes to mind. It used to be very expensive if you attached to the wrong network.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nanotm
Pro

Strat wrote:

I was just browsing around the settings on my Android phone and came across 'Restrict Networks'

Tapping it took me to a list of all WiFi networks where I can restrict access to each one individually.

I can't recall having seen this facility before but was surprised to note there were 50 networks listed.

I recognise about 36 of them but do wonder about the other 14 Undecided

Not asking for any assistance here, just posting out of interest.

unless you changed the options then iirc your contacts that visit you or who you visit automatically share wifi information and thus half of those networks (unless actually local to you) will be available to you the second your in range, however your phone is also accessible to them the second your in range as well making it a two way street in terms of potential vulnerability, and it gets worse if the face book plugin is fully operating as per its advertised design specs, because every friend who you pass in t he street can also grant you access to every network they ever connected too (and vice versa) 

its all part of the everyone connected together plan that forms a large part of the global internet initiative, decidedly dodgy in terms of local network security but fantastic for those who move around a lot but don't have decent data plans on their mobile /

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you

The plot thickens..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

This is WiFi though not GSM?

I can't say I am sure, but seems a bit odd to be. The only thing I can think of is to tell the phone to ignore a particular WiFi network and to automatically connect to something else?
nanotm
Pro

Strat wrote:

The plot thickens..

the funny part is Microsoft made it possible to disable this "feature" in both windows 8 and win10 versions, but got lambasted for advertising the fact you could disable it, yet spamdroid and icack both requiquired putting into dev mode in order to change the setting... not sure about newer versions I stopped having access to either about 9 months ago, however its entirely possible they did change their ways and make it something "normal users" could disable as standard, however android specifically introduced the "restrict netowrks" feature as a work around so you could block your device from auto logging in whenever it was in range of one or more networks you didn't trust... its also usefull if your a member of say openzone where you get hotspot access nationwide but only a limited amount of data usage so you can actvley choose what data allowance your sucking dry or if your rinsing your mates wifi.....

in some respects its cools but in most respects its downright creepy, and its worse because every single "shared" set of details is added to one of googles databases that ensures location logging is more accurate......

nanotm
Pro

Alex wrote:
This is WiFi though not GSM?

I can't say I am sure, but seems a bit odd to be. The only thing I can think of is to tell the phone to ignore a particular WiFi network and to automatically connect to something else?

yes its wifi not gsm.

I was just surprised at the number of 'unknown' access points my phone had connected to....or are they WiFi access points my phone has simply found but not connected to.

nanotm
Pro

normally if the networks are in the "known networks" or "manage networks" tab they are ones that you have the credentials for and have connected to (named) or they are shared from contacts but not connected to (unknown or unnamed)

if they appear in the available networks list its nothing to be worried about though iirc restrict networks specifically relates to ones in the known/manage table because you have the credentials for them/

Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 35

@Strat on my HT10 under Network restrictions it has a list of Metered Wi-Fi networks that you can choose to enable or not.

'Metered networks are treated like cellular when background data is restricted. Apps may warn before using these networks for large downloads.'

No tinfoil hats required Grin

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.