cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Respect for Barclays

Denzil
Grafter

Respect for Barclays

I have just placed an order for a new PC from CCL Online, and for some reason the debit card transaction was turned down. I was about to try again, thinking I had probably typed something wrong, when the phone rang. It was Barclays, asking to confirm details of the payment, and asking me to give it a few minutes and it would go through. It did.
I know all banks are, or at least should be, fairly hot on security these days, but I thought a phone call within two minutes was pretty good.
16 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Respect for Barclays

I had a similar one with Lloyds/Amex, but in this case a stupid outcome, they said OK, then I got a call from the seller, why had I stopped the payment, - Lloyds had, although they said OK they still stopped, second time it went through
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Full marks that Barclays are on the ball,
but a bit worring that your expenditure is being watched
pierre_pierre
Grafter

it could be a computer warns a human when unusual transactions take place
Community Veteran

Yes that's what happens. Except it's not very good - it kept blocking regular payments my mother made like rent and council tax, no matter how much she tried to hammer into Barclays' collective skulls that surely there can be nothing suspicious about payments that've been made regularly every month for years.
N/A

Go on then Denzil - give us the low down on your new 'puter and we can all drool.
Cool
Euge
Grafter

That is pretty good of them although it worked against me with Lloyds. I spent 6 out of 11 months in Australia phoning Lloyds that it was okay that I was using it Australia and would be until January. It would work for a month and then I'd have to go through the same process the next month  Roll eyes
itsme
Grafter

Barclaycard are updating their portal so that you can enter dates and countries that you are visiting and using credit cards in. Not sure when it will go live for everyone as I was sent an email a couple of weeks ago to preview it.
In the past I have suffered when abroad with their safeguards when both Visa and Mastercard were being referred back to Barclaycard for each transaction and even though I spoke to Barclaycard each time they still put a block on the cards which I had to sort out on my returned.
I also had a similar thing with Vodafone phoning me on my mobile when I was abroad because of the high roaming call cost I was racking up. Which I had to remind them they were adding to the cost as speaking to them was costing me just over a £1 per minute. Angry
Community Veteran

I have had similar calls from both Lloyds and Mastercard asking me to verify payments were OK before they passed them.  I even had a phone call in America from PayPal asking if I had used their service.  Quite impressed really Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Something similar with an M&S Mastercard; I got a call from their security to ask if'd been in Pakistan recently, as my card had been (cloned and) used in an attempt to extract a moderate sum in cash...I hadn't (and never have) been to Pakistan. The amount never appeared on my statement, I was issued with a new card and number, so presumably was dealt with at that time. They advised, if travelling abroad to just let them know, which I've done ever since.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
itsme
Grafter

In my case my cards were still being referred to Barclaycard after I had informed them before leaving the country were I was going. Also if they looked at my previous card histoy they would see that the country I was visiting was a regular thing. As  these referrals we being done when I was using them in the shops it was a pain as each was taking 10 minutes to clear. The first referral I could understand but I would have thought that after I had answered all the security questions and confirmed that it was me who was using the cards that would be the end of it. But no it happened another 4 time on the same day as this was the day of departure, I then found after a couple of days back that they had put a stop on the cards. Luckily I had prepaid the car park at the airport if I did not it could have been an expensive 0800 call to Barclaycard to clear the stop. To remove the stop I was asked the same questions which I had already answered on the previous 5 occasions.
What trigger these card referrals was the fact that the cards were used in quick succession, which is not abnormal on a departure day in a city famed for it's shopping and the flight home was at midnight.
Fixes: 105

Just had my card declined for a similar purchase - I had to ring my CC company to sort it out.
I can understand why they did it... but it's infuriating when you're trying to shop Cheesy
Will Moderate For Thanks
itsme
Grafter

In my case the shop was doing the phoning. I believe they were phoning their merchant bank and then the calls were being routed back to Barclaycard.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the last time I did a works trip, I informed my CC - a branch of Nat West and  also got my credit raised,  one bill alone was for £2000, no trouble, but the poor chaps with Barclay had a £500 limit and had to do separate bills  to pay their Hotel,  The People with  Amex, which  at that time was the company card couldnt even use them, as they were not liked in Austria or Italy
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: poppy
Go on then Denzil - give us the low down on your new 'puter and we can all drool. Cool

Not that impressive really, but better than my current Shuttle-style thing with an Athlon XP3200, which is showing signs of age. Will give me a chance to play with some different Linux distros before deciding what to install.
http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=34693&category_id=677&manufacturer_id=0
http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=21996&category_id=799&manufacturer_id=0
AMD Athlon AM3 X2 240 Dual Core
2Gb RAM / 320GB Hard Drive
ATI HD3650 'silent' graphics card