Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resins to be cheerful, Part 1.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Resins to be cheerful, Part 1.

No, not Ian Dury and the Blockheads, but resin for a flat roof repair.

Bit of a leak along the edge of mine after all that really heavy rain last week, so popped down to B&Q to see what they had. It was nowhere to be seen even after a good look around, so after intercepting a member of staff I asked him where it might be "What's if for" he replied. "It's from doing a fibreglass repair" I said. 

"Ah right, I don't think we stock that but I'll ask" whereupon he called over a much older female member of staff. "I'm looking for resin" I said "   "... it's for doing a fibreglass repair" I added helpfully just in case. What I got back was the rather curt reply of  "I know what it's for and no we don't have any" 

Nice eh.

Anyways, now hunting online for some but rather strangely, along with hardener they only seem to sell it by weight and not volume - and I reckon I need about half a pint of the stuff and certainly not a whole gallon which my local builders merchant stocks.... which is why I went down to B&Q. 😊

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
18 REPLIES 18
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: Resins to be cheerful, Part 1.

Might be a wrong idea, @Minivanman , but have you tried a local motor factors? I know the motor trade use the stuff.

John
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

BUT....... More is less.....    and less is More....

? ? ? ?

Well,... if you have MORE than you need.... you will waste LESS time looking for some next time you need it..

If you buy LESS.... then you will waste MORE time and MORE money trying to finish the job...

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@jab1 

Ah yes, not thought of that and there is a small 'one man band' motor factors shop in our local town. 

Good thinking Batman!

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

As jab1 says, resin and matting if needed are probably cheaper at local motor factors but then there is this...

https://www.fibreglassdirect.co.uk/premium-fibreglass-roof-kit.html

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@wotsup 

Look interesting, thanks.

Already have a roll of 2" wide fibreglass which if folded should be OK for running along the edge where I think the leak is. Need some nice dry weather first so I can first clean and then sand. The problem is not too bad, just a bit of a nuisance and one that will undoubtedly get worse if left.  

The roof was laid professionally about ten years ago so I'm surprised it leaks at all as noboby really walk across it - excepct for the few times I've had to get up there in order clean those Autumn leaves out of the gutter.  

twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Poundland has two-part epoxy resin in them double-syringe things, sets in 5 minutes so work quickly... 😁

All pretty much the same goo, just some is more expensive than others owing to what it's sold for use as...

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Minivanman wrote:The roof was laid professionally about ten years ago so I'm surprised it leaks at all as noboby really walk across it - excepct for the few times I've had to get up there in order clean those Autumn leaves out of the gutter.  

Cheap and cheerful roof....10 years is about right! Lifespan of roofs 

I used something like this which has stopped my flat roof from leaking - over 2 years now. Problem with the roof, is it actually leaking where you think it is? Water can travel a long way before it drips in, which is why I went for the paint route. I did the entire roof, rather than concentrate on where I thought it might be leaking. Some tins even say they can be applied wet.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@idonno wrote:

@Minivanman wrote:The roof was laid professionally about ten years ago so I'm surprised it leaks at all as noboby really walk across it - excepct for the few times I've had to get up there in order clean those Autumn leaves out of the gutter.  

Cheap and cheerful roof....10 years is about right! Lifespan of roofs 

@idonno 

Does that article actually say a fibreglass flat roof coating is only expected to last ten years (I didn't see it)?

I had my flat garage roof fibreglassed in 1989 and it came with a 20-year guarantee (which I realise was probably only worth the paper it was printed on if the company had gone bust before the guarantee period expired), so it's now been there for just over thirty years.  I think there is a leak somewhere though because I can see a patch of black mould appearing on the underside of the plywood decking in one spot, but not bad for longevity.  It was more expensive than minertal felt, but I think the lifespan has shown its worth so far, and probably easier to repair than felt.

I used something like this which has stopped my flat roof from leaking - over 2 years now. Problem with the roof, is it actually leaking where you think it is? Water can travel a long way before it drips in, which is why I went for the paint route. I did the entire roof, rather than concentrate on where I thought it might be leaking. Some tins even say they can be applied wet.

I've found Flexacryl to be very good for painting on to flat roofs, usually sticks like **** to a blanket and has the added advantage of containing chopped glass strands to give it strength, it covers small cracks effectively and I'd say it could be used quite effectively to apply glass mat to small areas.  It comes in Black Grey and White.  Prices vary quite a bit.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@idonno 

Well it was not done on the cheap, in fact it was part of entire roof overhaul and cost just shy of £6000 so...

I know it can be difficult to detect the source of the leak but I'm pretty sure it is from along the edge but I guess I'll find out soon enough. Worse comes to the worst I will redo the entire lot with an overlay.

Labour is the major cost of these things but as there is still life in this old dog the expense should be minimal whatever.

Now where did I leave my ladders. 😄

PS. Thanks for the links guys, both look interesting. Cheers.

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@RobPN Does that article actually say a fibreglass flat roof coating is only expected to last ten years (I didn't see it)?

The article is a general thing really but going by the fibreglass shingles, 50 years might be right but as you say if the company goes bust, what good is a warranty - unless backed by an insurance company.

@Minivanman £6000, I feel your pain. I had the house roof done a couple of years ago and more as an afterthought, while they were doing the job, asked could they have a look at the flat roof. Turned out they never touch them. As the guv said, more trouble then they are worth and you never know how large the can of worms is going to be i.e the final bill. I have toyed with doing what some of my neighbours have already done, rip it off and put a pitched tiled roof there instead. For now, £40 a tin is much the cheaper option. So far so good - says him touching a large plank of wood.

Only downside is the knee joints aren't as good as they once were. Especially in the cold! Good luck up the ladder.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Could never understand why flat roofs were ever used in buildings.....sure it's to save money..except it does not or at least not for the owner of the property.

First house we ever bought .....well only house we could afford had a flat roof and whilst up on the roof fixing a Ariel I was concerned about the large number of cracks in the material used, clearly the stuff is not suitable for long term use, costly to replace and in my case several of the boards in the roof had to be replaced due to damp seeping through...the roof was about 15 years old.

Fibreglass.....messy stuff to work with, only used it on cars.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Well below is the roof in question which as said was done ten years ago. 

The existing (shared) felt covered flat roof was in a shoocking state so with next door paying half the cost for that section and myself the rest for the whole of the roof front and back to be stripped, insulated with foil, new battens and broken or missing Welsh slates replaced, it came in at quite a price but well worth it.  

Next door does not bother much with DIY and that green stain you can see top left is because the overflow in their water tank has been doing just that for all the time we have been here which is why I have to try and keep the gutter clear of those leaves from the trees in their garden - not mine as I don't have any!

But there you go, it's his wall that's getting damp not mine and yes, I have offered to fix it for him. 

Neighbours eh.

Bit of dry weather now, give the roof a good brush over and getting rid of the build of cachu as they say around here and it will be sorted.

roof.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good afternoon Minivanman,

If it's the bitumen felt roof that's leaking approximately forty five years ago I had a leak on the corner of a detatched garage roof with a flat roof leaking in the corner above the door.

At the time I was doing some electric work for an old builder who recommened I used car underbody sealer to solve the problem .

I scraped out the crack filled it with sealer and put a bitumen felt patch about 12 inch by 6 inch on top sealed the edges and put plenty of white pea gravel over it to keep off the heat of the sun.

I lived there another five years and it was OK

Brian A

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Minivanman 

Fortunately it's not such a big area....my biggest concern would be that overflow pipe on his side, fine if the gutter is kept clear but any water that spills over has a habit of seeping a considerable distance.

I wonder if it would be that much more expensive to build a small tiled sloping roof on your half that would be a permanent solution.

I think some builders now use rubber on flat roofs.....similar to that used in swimming pools

We are born into history and history is born into us.