cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting web abuse rant .....

Community Veteran

Reporting web abuse rant .....

Grrrrrr ....
I run my own web, email and forum servers and also moderator on a popular car forum. Usually when I have a hacking attempt or issue, I ping off the info to the abuse email address for the registered IP and either get ignored or they bend over backwards to sort the issue out.
This morning we had a spammer on the car forum with some very racially motivated posts and he was banned and his posts deleted. On further investigation, he was posting from a BT registered IP address so I decided to ping the info over to the BT abuse email.
I got a reply saying the following :
Dear Customer,
Thank you for contacting BT - This is an automated response, please do not reply to this email.

Due to the volume of email we receive, we would be grateful if you could complete our Webform http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/5642,5651

This form will enable you to supply us with all the information we need in order to deal with your enquiry. 

Please note that BT can only take action when the misuse originates from one of our customers or networks.   

Hmmm - ok - lets spend more time letting BT know that a customer is posting racially motivated rubbish on forums and their IP address has already been blacklisted by various online services.
Mandatory fields - first name, last name, title, email address, Phone number your broadband is on? - I think not !!, what you want help with, tell us a bit more, how I want to be contacted, when to contact me, my telephone number to be contacted on ?
Stuff it, I really hate entering forms at the best of times and I'm certainly not typing out everything I sent in the email again and providing personal details to boot. Maybe this is what BT want so they don't have to follow up abuse report against their customers ?
Oh well - for the benefit of the search engines - http://www.stopforumspam.com/ipcheck/81.152.110.77
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Reporting web abuse rant .....

I very much doubt any isp really does anything anyway to be honest. I keep getting spammers on my forum every few months but I don't bother reporting them to their ISPs I just delete them and their queued posts.
What I found very useful is a Q&A at the signup instead of a captcha image. Every 2 - 3 months the spammers crack all the questions and thats when the floodgates open. At that point I simply change the questions very slightly to throw them off the scent and then it's quiet again for another 2-3 months.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I'd say around 25% of reported abuse ends in a result.
I do however restrict reporting to  US, UK, AU and European spam - I gave up with the Chinese, Russian and Indian reporting as nothing was ever done.
I've seen ISP's and Datacenters take down whole servers within half an hour of the report.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I used to run a forum a few years ago, only had around 30 members (so it wasn't really that lively).
I had the same spam problem - they'd crack the standard phpBB Captcha, so in the end I installed some custom mod which sorted it for a while.
Changed the settings so I'd have to approve accounts before they're active, but I can understand on a busier forum that's not an option unless you can be on it all day.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: DomS
I'd say around 25% of reported abuse ends in a result.

But how do you know this? Because they tell you they've done something?
The reality is that unless you're called to court or called by the local police in the spammers area you've no real idea if anything has actually happened at all. I'll bet most ISPs claim they've done something while really brushing it under the carpet.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I either get replies from the ISP or the affected server stops responding to pings or web requests (quite often they are hacked servers with the owners unaware that they have been compromised).
I used to take an interest in what happened but got bored of that. Now if the same IP attacks me more than once in a week and I've reported the issue then I get a bit arsey with my reports and the issues tend to stop.
As for the forums, I used to get all the automated bots trying to register on my forum a couple of years ago, I eventually locked new registrations as I was getting up to 50 a days signing up new accounts (this was on PHPBB). Now on our commercial forums which runs vBulletin we have very few and the majority are identified by the spam software anyway. What I have noticed are the increasing number of accounts created by "real people" who are based in India or Pakistan who sign up an account then spam on behalf of a UK company. As 99% of our users are based in the UK the spammers are usually pretty easy to spot as this particular manufacturer of vehicles have a very very small presence in those countries.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Seeing as it is a online crime now, report it.  I wish I had that option when I ran a Freelancer game server and forum up to 2005 for another ISP, then I did as you are and reported it direct to the ISP, with varying results.
Ended up having to get the ISP host to put a block the users ISP, down to the German ISP doing nothing after repeated abuse from a couple of players abusing dynamic IP's.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017