cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing Taps

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Replacing Taps

The time is not far off when I need to replace a couple of taps in the house.

No problem with the cold water one as you just turn the mains one off usually under the kitchen sink, the problem is the hot water one, the gate valve is stuck solid which leaves me with the option of draining the hot water off or getting one of those freezer sprays which are fairly expensive for a one off use on a single pipe.

HairyMcBiker mentioned in another post about the use of a bung which I have heard about before but could it be used to stop the hot water system ?

I suspect the pipe will either be 15mm or 22mm, plenty of bungs advertised on ebay but are there specific ones for doing this sort of job ? I assume a tapered bung would be the best type to use.

18 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: Replacing Taps

As a matter of interest , why havent you replaced the gate valve on the tank   ok you have to empty tank once but then it will not become a problem .

also what is now common practice when the water is off, on all tap copper pipes fit a Shut off valve , so then every tap has a individual shut off Thumbs Up

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/d20/Valves/sd2696/Isolating+Valve+CP/p36879

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Revenant
Dabbler

Yes you can use a tapered bung but only to block one of the outflow pipes from the tank - in your case the pipe that feeds down to the hot water cylinder. You still have to drain the cylinder down before unscrewing the old tap fitting so not sure it'd help much; these bungs are more commonly used on the cold water side to save you having to drain the main tank down. Don't try using a bung to stop up the end of the pipe you've just unscrewed from the tap unless you want to get wet - but you knew that anyway!

Like rongtw said, you now have a great opportunity to fit individual isolation valves to each tap to make life easier in the future.

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Water is fed to hot water tanks from cold water tanks. It enters hot water tanks at the bottom and leaves from the top. If you turn off the mains and drain the cold water tank then the hot water tank will remain full but no hot water will flow from it.

Community Veteran

@rongtw,

What you say is good advice but the isolation valve for the hot water supply is behind the tank and the pipe is very close to the wall, not helped by several other pipes running close by, in short it's difficult to get at and I envisage it would take some time to cut through the pipe without damage to other pipes, it could be done but the time and effort involved makes me avoid doing it,

What ever I do the taps will be fitted with flexible tap connectors which incorprate a isolating valve.

The only other point I am not sure about is the use of boss white which can be applied before tightening the joint, I have used it in the past but not sure if it's really necessary.

RobPN
Aspiring Pro

gleneagles wrote:

..., the problem is the hot water one, the gate valve is stuck solid ...

IME it's good practice not to leave a gate valve in the fully open position.  What I mean by that is when you first open it, open it fully then close it by half a turn, that way any corrosion etc. can be dislodged/broken by turning the valve to the fully open position before trying to close it.

That has kept my gate valves moveable over the years, but it's also a good idea to move them every now and then - a year? - couple of years? - whenever you remember!

You might be lucky and be able to shift yours by trying to open it further.

Edit: Fixed quote cockup

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Gleneagles , Boss white is personal preference, but  i never use it for taps Smiley.

As a matter of interest as the gate valve on the tank is inaccessible is it not possible to fit another elsewhere in the pipework

i have had to do this in the past Thumbs Up

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
RaddandSand2001
Dabbler

If when you do change the taps and fit the flexi type units make sure that the hot water one IS made for hot water and also if your going to fit them to a KITCHEN sink then they BOTH have to be able to supply DRINKING WATER to which A LOT of the flexi pipes do not.

Trust me I have fitted enough of them in the past

Community Veteran

Hopefully I will not need to fit new kitchen taps but can you enlarge a bit on what you say regarding some of those flexible fittings not being suitable for taps that supply drinking water.

RaddandSand2001
Dabbler

Yes. If you  pop into your local plumbing merchant they should give you the full details. Though some flexi pipes will have a soft wall insert which is not any good for use on drinking water supplies.

Even from the likes of B & Q or thier subsiduary Screwfix they list whether safe for drinking water systems and as i said you also want to make sure on the hot water supply as it can cause some problem 

St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

you lot are all tapped Funny

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Fixes: 47

Washer mouth out.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The flow of nonsensical comments will not stop dripping, until they are overflowing the cistern ( mis spelling of "system" ) ! ! ! .. Smiley

Community Veteran

I can't see how you are basin your argument.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Probably suffering from brain drain, then  Cheesy