cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeat prescriptions

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Repeat prescriptions

Phoned the Health Centre the other day for a repeat prescription.

Receptionist: " We no longer do repeat prescriptions over the telephone but you can do it yourself online."

Me: " What happens if you are not on line ? "

Receptionist: " Then you have to come to the health centre and we will do it."

Me: " What happens if for some reason such as sickness you cannot get to the health centre and you are not on line"

Receptionist: " Then you need to get a friend or relative to come here with your repeat prescription form and some form of identification and we will issue the prescription, there is no need for them to collect the medication as the chemist if requested will deliver it."

So what happens in your area ? Is this common practice ?

33 REPLIES
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Repeat prescriptions

Yes, it's the same here in Milton Keynes. Thankfully I now do it online.

Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I can get repeat prescriptions online, over the phone or by dropping in the prescription but we have to collect them as they are dispensed from the medical practice. Our nearest chemist is 6-7 miles away.

alanf
Aspiring Pro

Repeat prescriptions for my area must be requested online or on paper.

The online system doesn't work when there are several items to request each month and they all have different review dates. Only those items not up for review can be requested online (used to be able to add a note to request extra items but now told not to do so). If one has to make a paper request for one item one may as well do everything on paper.

There is a convenient chemist and until recently it was possible to drop the paper slip in there and they would submit the request and collect the prescription. (If the order was the same each month the chemist could even automatically submit requests )

Sadly one of the local surgeries is now in a pilot scheme whereby chemists can collect prescriptions but no longer submit requests on patients' behalf. The aim is to reduce the automatic ordering of more medicines than the patient requires.

So anyone who is immobile and unable to access to the online system (or has several items to order) who doesn't have someone to act on their behalf will have big problems.

There is no need for identification for anyone to submit or collect prescriptions on behalf of anyone else. Prescriptions going in are simply placed in a box on the counter and prescriptions being collected require only to know the name and address of the patient.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Recently I used the notes section to make a special request for some Cocodomol which contains Codein for my back problem, I've had these issued several times before without any issue.

After making my special request the surgery phoned me to say these could no longer be issued to patients under NHS rulings and I would be given a substitute pain killer. I had read about that on the internet as apparently Cocodomol is easy to overdose on and some people have used them to commit suicide.

On the day my prescription was ready I visited my local chemist only to find that they had issued Cocodomol.

I mentioned the above to my chemist who promptly pointed to the shelf behind him where there were several over-the-counter forms of the same drug.

Can we really trust our doctors with medication?

Community Veteran

@MKSlinky

Your surgery is getting confused between cocodomol and codeine. Codeine can't be obtained in its raw state any more, only the codeine substitute can (commonly called phalcodeine). Cocodomol is a common medicine which contains only a small amount of codeine. Some countries however have actually banned cocodomol, but not the UK.

I suspect that the message came from one of the surgery assistants, not a GP. 

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@nozzer

No I'm pretty sure it was Cocodomol I read about, it only grabbed my attention because that's what I'm taking. I was trying to find that same website so I could add a link before posting my previous reply but I can't remember which site it was. I'll have another look later, maybe it's on the cards for removal?

Community Veteran

@MKSlinky

Co-proxamol is banned. Cocodomol isn't in the UK. 

A your pharmacist says, there are lots of over the counter drugs that contain it. If the article you read mentioned cocodomol, it was incorrect!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Co-codamol should only be used for a very limited period because of the risk of addiction

The doctor can prescribe Co-dydramol which can be used for a much longer period but has several possible side effects (indigestion so they would also prescribe something for that and constipation which certainly affected me)

Fixes: 125

There are several variants of Co-Codomal. I used to purchase 12.8/500 (12.8mg Phosphate Hemihydrate/500mg Paracetomol) which is the maximum strength you can purchase at the chemist. When I had that awful back and head pain last year I requested 30/500 from my GP which he acknowledge would be better. Originally he prescribed 32 tablets but when I went back to request the effervescent ones (I find the fizziness acts a bit like Alka Seltzer and settles my stomach, too) I was prescribed 100 tablets. Perhaps they they think having to wait for them to dissolve would deter would-be suicide attempts?

Usually I only need to take 2 occasionally 4 tablets to knock my headache on the head so to speak.

Last weekend I was laid out with a bad migraine for 4 days which caused me to take many more tablets over the period  but I never took more than 6 within a 24 hour period. Whether they are addictive like that I have know idea but my migraine was so bad they barely touched it this time.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Back to the OP.

I do my repeat prescriptions on line but, for some reason, the Co-Codomol doesn't appear there. Next time I see my quack I'll ask why.

Luckily there is a chemist next door to the surgery where the prescription is sent if request for it to be collected two days later.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

My local surgery will accept them anyway.
My local pharmacy will do it as well, online or by dropping in and filling in a copy of the repeat/bringing it in.
I do it online much easier and faster. I can order at a w/e and get it Monday pm.

WRT to co-codomol well I have had them on prescription till I changed it to straight paracetamol last year. I found the 15/500 ones I was prescribed had problems with me. I could take the 8/500 over the counter ones with no issues though, so related to the strength. Since I am on Naproxin I cannot take Ibuprofen but find the paracetamol work well with it.

@HairyMcbiker

I was a little apprehensive before taking the 30/500's considering I was OK with the 12.8/500's but had heard stories of people having not-so-good experiences with the stronger ones.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

My problems were in the blockage area ;-)
The doc said he could prescribe something else to cure that, I said no thanks just drop them!
Got enough of take this to cover the side effects of that already.
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Mine too is much the same, but as it's under a 10 minute walk to both surgery and chemist, it's not a problem. We often combine with other shopping, or further trips. We just drop them in a box in the centre's foyer. I think it's all to do with security.

Something funny is that some medicines are on monthly repeat, others bi-monthly, and the same drug can be one for me but two months for the missus

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.