Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repairing blown double glazing

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

Repairing blown double glazing

Any windows experts here to advise me?
The trader is local and turnover is below VAT threshold with experienced.
Any window experts here? Can you tell me if the prices are suitable for work undertaken, given area?

Prices are to supply and fit
4mm clear glass, silver cavity spacers, 5 year guarantee, no VAT chargeable.

qote extract.gif

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 18

Re: Repairing blown double glazing

What is "blown double glazing"?

Price obviously depends on the size of the thing.

Definitely go for toughened glass - I had an inner pane implode with a loud bang (after 6 years) - it didn't scatter broken glass though.

I had a big argument to get the unit replaced as apparently the guarantee didn't cover the glass!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 2

well getting my patio door double glazing replaced cost £150 including the labour charge when the glass cracked a few months ago so depending on the size of the job that could be a reasonable price,

when it happened to me I used the code thats laser etched into the glass looked it up online in conjunction with the frame code for the fitting (if its an openable window or door there should be a small plate on the edge of it with the relevant codes) and found that the cheapest place I could buy the replacement from was £100 more expensive for supply only than the local repair shop quote for the supply and fitting since I was only getting retail prices from the suppliers whilst they got trade prices and added on vat and labour for fitting (especially helpful since I couldn't possibly fit a new one) 

also if your worried about the window breaking in the future you can get protective film to line it with (used to be called blast film) often with tint or plain options (I personally like the tinted version since I want to see out of the windows I dont want people seeing in)  that does double duty should the glass crack /fracture as an adhesive film layer it holds the glass together making it easier to replace and dispose of 

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Luzern

For comparison, I recently had a big door panel replaced with Pilkington K safety glass, 20mm cavity, 4mm glass, argon filled, measuring 210cm x 55cm, cost was £190 fitted.

Highlighted
Hero

@VileReynard wrote:

What is "blown double glazing"?

Price obviously depends on the size of the thing.

Definitely go for toughened glass - I had an inner pane implode with a loud bang (after 6 years) - it didn't scatter broken glass though.

I had a big argument to get the unit replaced as apparently the guarantee didn't cover the glass!

It's that the seal has broken, letting condensation between the layers of glass. You'll see the quote includes toughened where requires, and also dimensions in millimetres

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Hero

@nozzer Using your quote and other size quoted on line, I feel my man's prices are not too steep, unless you live in Mayfair.Funny

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Would certainly recommend having Pilkington K glass fitted. Cost a bit more but IMHO well worth it.

Yes, blown glass is a real pain. I had a very large conservatory and they all succumbed (after about 12 years). Case of bite the bullet and replace, although sometimes the frames can be an issue (warped etc).

You'd think replacing the glass would be an easy DIY task but the government have made it difficult by requiring certification of windows and any glazing fitted. As to the disposing of the removed glass....believe or not, it goes to landfill! More hassle than its worth.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?