cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rental Property: Do you know what your tenants are up to ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Rental Property: Do you know what your tenants are up to ?

You'd get an excellent rate.
Heh, Heh... breach of contract ... liquidated damages and admin fees...
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Quote from: 7up

Why do you state they may not conduct business there?

It ... <snip>
and mostly because it is a damned cheek and we don't want dishonest people in our property.

Thats the bit I was waiting to hear.
Do please explain! Why is it a damned cheek for a tennant to try and make a little extra money to survive in your property?
So let me get this right, they cannot sell anything on ebay, they cannot sell information or services (such as web design) and they cannot accept incoming money because it's a damned cheek?
Seriously, do please tell me why it's a damned cheek?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

If they want to run a business, then they should rent/buy a business premises. or be upfront and agree in advance with the landlord that they may use it for business purposes. In the latter case the landlord can make sure appropriate insurance, business rates and planning permissions are in place. In our case its a holiday home purposed for people staying on short term holiday and that's the contract they agreed to without coercion. I'm one of those people who think an agreement is an agreement. I fully understand there are those people who think the world owes them a living and are prepared to take without agreement.
Community Veteran

If they want to run a business, then they should rent/buy a business premises

Not everyone has that sort of money. Not everyone wants to work away from home. Either way,
Oh and not everyone started in a business property. Many folks have started successful companies at home.
or be upfront and agree in advance with the landlord that they may use it for business purposes.

Why don't you call them a property owner? - They are not a lord, and neither are you Wink
In the latter case the landlord can make sure appropriate insurance, business rates and planning permissions are in place

Thats fair enough, I can't argue with that.
In our case its a holiday home purposed for people staying on short term holiday and that's the contract they agreed to without coercion.

Are you sure about that? - Most owners would just tell the prospective tennant to look elsewhere - and that is coercion.
I fully understand there are those people who think the world owes them a living and are prepared to take without agreement.

Yes they're called property owners - who think that they should be able to own a property and the tennants life and rights.. and if they had their way would use them as slaves too.
The property owners however think that the tennants want it all for free... because they are paying the owners sky high rent while depriving the owner of the property  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Come on 7UP, that last lot was not up to your usual standards  Smiley Have a nap first and come up with some real arguments/debating points , then I might respond.
Community Veteran

I really can't be bothered to be honest!
I've had enough of those with it all slagging off those with little. I'm fed up of people like you claiming that we want the world to give us everything for nothing.
You have everything, you wanted everything and you use people to pay for it.
We have nothing, we'd like to own ONE home to raise our son and we can't - because people like YOU want it all and want the world to give it to them by paying rent to you to pay for it.
So who really wants it all Adair? - because you're not exactly describing your own side of the arguement very well mate Wink
Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
I've had enough of those with it all slagging off those with little. I'm fed up of people like you...

I was pushed out of home when I left school with a £5 note as a parting gift and the clothes I could carry. My first job was scraping food off plates in a large canteen. I even spent a few months using an old shed on derelict docklands as a home. However I realised pretty quickly that renting property was a mugs game. As soon as I had a "proper job" I started saving. Through hard work, long hours and taking on the tough jobs others didn't want I climbed up the career and property ladder. Some months the food during the last week of the month would run out, but I always paid the mortgage, and bills.  I guess these are the types of people you are fed up with?  Wink
I've seen the crazy things some tenants get up to with other people's property. So the contractual conditions are there to remove people who step out of the agreed bounds of usage and as a consequence causing damage to the property or its reputation hence value.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

wow, just wow.
so what you've just said there that "working in canteen" is not a "real job", and anyone who rents is a "mug".
you really sound like a piece of work, and that's saying something coming from me.
you must have an absolute joy to have as a landlord - note the sarcasm.
you're sense of elitism is oozing out of every one of your holes.
Community Veteran

Apart from the personal sneers Chenks76 are you actually going to contribute to the debate on rental property and the landlord's right to protect it?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 34

I agree with you AA the property owner has every right to protect what is theirs provided it is not to the detriment of the tenant. I.E. The owner coming round on a regular basis to 'check things out'. However, I've been thinking, which I know is not good for me but; it is all very well having a clause in your rental lease that prohibits business operations, but how would you enforce that?
If someone were to use one of my properties for business while on holiday it wouldn't bother me in the slightest and add to the fact that I would probably never find out and of course what is defined as business?
Also I can't see anyone renting a holiday home for more than a couple of weeks considering they cost on average a months rental per week.
Community Veteran

@Mook The contractual condition is there for if things go wrong, if they're found to have breached the term I can then seek a remedy. If it's not in the contract they can claim "I didn't know...." To be honest I don't check what is happening, but the next door neighbour does have my phone number and can make contact with me if the Guest is up to no good. It's the same thing with smoking. By contract, it is not permitted in our rentals, if someone does smoke inside I have the right to claim damages to the amount of extensive cleaning and costs arising from loss of business. Many of our guests pay for non-smoking accommodation and would be in their rights to turn down the cottage rental if it is reeking of cigarette smoke.
Community Veteran

Well that all makes perfect sense, and I can see the logic in that. Mmm, maybe it's time to call the Solicitor.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

I am all for people buying their own property if they are able to do so but I do wonder if it's right to allow people to purchase a second property as an investment.
There is a housing shortage and with a rapidly increasing population more people than ever will need a home, house prices have always gone up long term and certainly not in a balanced ratio to wages.
There are many things people with money can invest in but should houses be one of them.
A number of new properties have been advertised abroad simply as an investment and the purchaser may not even bother to see them but simply buy them of a plan, no doubt some of these purchases are made by investment companies.
In short the gap between house prices and what first time buyers can afford will simply get bigger along with the resentment of those unable to afford a property.
So to repeat the initial question should anybody be allowed to purchase a second property just as an investment ?
Community Veteran

Well you have kind of answered your own question, in that the value of a property will, in the long term, yield a financial result so makes sound commercial sense as an investment option. Yes there are other investment opportunities such as stocks, but the risk for some is not worth it, then there's art, but that is normally out of reach of the majority, and investing in up coming artists can be just as risky as shares. So then there's wine but that can lead to storage issues.
So the choice of property is more appealing as you can not only be assured a long term investment but can even make a small profit by renting it!