cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rental Property: Do you know what your tenants are up to ?

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Rental Property: Do you know what your tenants are up to ?

Kirsty Allsopp's boyfriend revealed to be the owner of flat a seedy BROTHEL is run from...
Fornication,  Fornication,  Fornication
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/kirsty-allsopps-boyfriend-revealed-owner-6635900
117 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Rental Property: Do you know what your tenants are up to ?

I don't think landlords ... Heck they're not lords, they're fortunate... lets call them property owners instead.
Right, I don't think property owners have any right to know what tennants are doing to be honest. As long as they leave the place in good condition (excluding normal wear and tear that would happen in any home over time) I fail to see what business it is of the property owners.
Tennants are not allowed to quiz the property owner about their financial stability (to determine their risk of the place being sold) so why on earth should the property owner be able to demand to know what the tennant is doing?
It doesn't matter how you look at it, there is always an opposing arguement.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Infinity
Pro

The activities may be illegal though.
Community Veteran

prostitution isnt illegal, however using the property for work purposes when its let as somewhere to live might be breach of contract.
I do agree with the above comment that the whole landlord/tenant thing is stupid such as e.g. not able to check the landlord financial stability as mentioned and I also find it stupid how landlords forbid sub letting in particular even with no sub letting they wont allow more people to live there than is on the agreement, why? because they would charge more if more tenants.
Community Veteran

I'd better go round and check but don't pass the story to SWMBO  Cheesy
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

When someone rents one of our holiday homes there's a clause in the contract to say they cannot conduct business there nor use the place as a Residential Address. However it's not unknown for the guests to run video conferences with their employers/clients from the locations while they are on "holiday". I had to swap over to unlimited business broadband to the homes because of their usage.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Once found half a dozen cannabis plants in a quarry we own, the quarry was rented out to a 'local government organisation' for storage.
CX
Grafter

At least they seem to be keeping the place clean.
I'd be more concerned about tenants that generate huge levels of moisture by taking long showers without extractor fans, drying washing indoors and then tape over the wall and window vents, resulting in an unhealthy, mouldy mess.
Community Veteran

Quote from: PlusComUK
The activities may be illegal though.

But that isn't down to the property owner to police.
Just because someone owns a property they are letting to someone else does not give them the right to lord it over them and rule their lives. Illegal activity or not, how that person lives is not the business of the owner - unless it costs the owner more (eg business broadband as AlaricAdair says - but even then phone line and broadband rental is usually down to the tennant anyway and with the rise of 3/4G that won't be a necessity for long).
Quote from: AlaricAdair
When someone rents one of our holiday homes there's a clause in the contract to say they cannot conduct business there

I'm interested in your POV on this. Why do you state they may not conduct business there? (other than the fact you apparently supply the internet). Is iot because you don't want them making money from your 'investment' without you seeing a slice of the cake or some other reason? From a tennants POV it seems that all property owners are against their tennants raising their standard of living / getting out of a hole.
I've known many tennants run businesses from their rented homes.. the landlords don't normally even have a clue and with so many things being done online today most landlords would be powerless to even prove it anyway.
Quote from: chrcoluk
I do agree with the above comment that the whole landlord/tenant thing is stupid such as e.g. not able to check the landlord financial stability

and strangely not one property owner in this thread has anything to say about that!
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up

Quote from: chrcoluk
I do agree with the above comment that the whole landlord/tenant thing is stupid such as e.g. not able to check the landlord financial stability

and strangely not one property owner in this thread has anything to say about that!

I've had tenants do a credit check on me, also have a clause in the leasing agreement inserted by one tenant that I may not borrow funds (take out a mortgage) against the property, also a clause that if I choose to sell the property, the tenant must be given 6 months notice and given 1st option to purchase.
Mind you I've had one tenant for 35 years on a continual rolling 11 year lease
Community Veteran

Thats rare... and just shows how far back that tenancy goes.
Today that doesn't happen.
Community Veteran

Why do you state they may not conduct business there?

It would potentially conflict with local authority planning and use approval;
It would contravene the property insurance agreement;
It is our property and we are renting out it for holiday makers and not business;
and mostly because it is a damned cheek and we don't want dishonest people in our property.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

You are implying that anyone conducting business in one of your rentals is dishonest! But surely it relies on ones definition of business. Going by your rules someone on holiday couldn't take a call from their office, as that would deem them to be conducting business.
Community Veteran

Your interpretation not mine. By all means sign up for a week and make a business call then see what happens. Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Quote from: AlaricAdair

Why do you state they may not conduct business there?

and mostly because it is a damned cheek and we don't want dishonest people in our property.

Not my interpretation at all it's what you said. Do I get a discount for being an old git?