cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rental Property. Do you know what your Landlord is up to ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Rental Property. Do you know what your Landlord is up to ?

Odd name Landlord,
Anyway what might he or she be up to ?
You could have been in rented property for many years and not be behind on the rent but could still get made homeless with only one hours notice.
Why would any Landlord want to do that ? well the council may be paying housing benefit but the Landlord may realise he or she can get more rent if it goes to someone not on housing benefit and the first thing the tenant knows is a couple of high court baliff's are knocking on their door giving them 1 hour to pack their goods, even if you have young children then tough luck you are still out on your ear but the council may be able to find you emergency accommodation. Note the word, 'may'
Anyone who has ever watched, 'Can't pay, we will take it away' will confirm this is correct.
And before you ask, no I don't live in rented property but I feel it's a disgrace the way some people are being treated.
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Rental Property. Do you know what your Landlord is up to ?

Actually they have to serve you two months notice by law but once thats done, if you don't go they can start proceedings and yes the sheriffs may well turn up to take action.
But yes, great topic!
We know our property owner well however what we didn't know was that he was dabbling in other businesses and took out a £20k loan to set one up. That failed for various reasons leaving him to payback £20k. I doubt he'd have sold his own home to pay that off but ours might of been in his sights had he got into a pickle. Lucky for us he didn't.. but it does show that those with money in their thirst for more money will often take risks... at other peoples expense.
Two months notice... that simply isn't enough for most people to save up another deposit, 6 weeks rent in advance, agency fees (checks, etc that they now charge) and then moving fee's.
To put it bluntly, property owners are able to cause tennants a lot of ****... but they'll moan if their tennants cause them any hassle.. because they're the victim of it all.
I lived in a place years ago.. 5 months into the tenancy the owner decided to sell up - being on the min wage I had no spare money for a deposit... I was lucky that the agency agreed to use my deposit as the last months rent in order for me to put down a deposit on another place. Scary times...
To put it bluntly, while I don't mind renting (though like most i'd prefer to own a home) I do feel that property owners who are in ownership of multiple properties at the expsnse of young families like mine, should be forced to undergo checks on behalf of the tennant to ensure the tennant has some security.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Rental Property. Do you know what your Landlord is up to ?

Many years ago there was more protection for tenants, people who moved into unfurnished property were classed as ,' sitting tenants' and could not be removed by the Landlord providing they were doing nothing illegal or damaging the property.
Clearly the Law changed at some time but I am not sure when.