cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rent out your Driveway

Fixes: 47

Rent out your Driveway

It requires planning permission to rent out your drivewayHuh
If you let someone park there that's ok but if you take a pound coin off them it's not.....that's a bit crazy.
It's your space.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Rent out your Driveway

Soon to change - from the Times (paywalled)
Householders are being urged to turn their driveway into a car park under government plans to tackle the excessive on-street charges imposed by town halls.
Eric Pickles, the Communities Secretary, will say today that he is allowing homeowners to rent out their drives for up to £2,400 a year without planning permission. It emerged this week that councils have made a £2 billion profit from parking charges over the past three years.
Heading for yet another battle with town halls over penalising motorists, Mr Pickles will clamp down on the “backdoor parking tax” that forces residents to seek change of use planning permission if they want to charge commuters to park on their property. Planning applications take months and councils can charge up to £500 before granting permission.
<snip>
Mr Pickles is to announce that the Government intends to publish guidance making clear that the public should be able to rent a single parking space without planning permission, provided that there is no public nuisance to neighbours.
Also here http://news.sky.com/story/1123978/car-parking-cash-cow-plan-for-homeowners
Fixes: 47

That's what prompted the topic as I was surprised at the current state of play.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Eric Pickles with yet another motoring friendly proposal. If his others are to judge by don't have your tickets printed yet.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

This is not something new.  Many people living near airports already charge airline passengers to park their cars on private driveways.  They may not like the £2,400 per annum limit though Wink
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

If you're taking money off people for it then it is a business but your home is classified as residential only. Quite simple really, I don't know why you would find that 'crazy' in your words.  Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yeah but plenty of people also work from home too. Is there a reason why they're allowed to do this but you're limited by renting out your drive? - After all a home is residential not business.
If you ask me it's just obsurd that you'd need planning permission to let someone park on your drive. A drive is for parking on. Since when have you needed planning permission to use property for it's intended use? Bonkers.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
Since when have you needed planning permission to use property for it's intended use? Bonkers.

You need planning permission for a different use, in this case a commercial business of renting out the parking space.
If you work from home there are complex rules about what you can and can't do and what requires planning permission and/or business rates etc.
Community Veteran

So 'planning permission' equates to paying the council £385 to do nothing.
Rather like a cheaper Council Tax really.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Alex
So 'planning permission' equates to paying the council £385 to do nothing.

It would appear that you've absolutely no experience of Planning Permission; either applying for it or being affected by others applying for it, or how it works in practice.  Cry
It's not "pay a fee and you're allowed to do whatever you like"  Crazy
Have a read here: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/ ; Cool
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
It's not "pay a fee and you're allowed to do whatever you like"

But that's not what I said HP?
I said for the council to do nothing, maybe I should have paraphrased that to 'very little' then. I didn't say the outcome would be in the favour of the person who made the application.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: HPsauce
Quote from: Sprite
Since when have you needed planning permission to use property for it's intended use? Bonkers.

You need planning permission for a different use, in this case a commercial business of renting out the parking space.

So you'te telling me that thousands of home owners across the land have setup a business and registered it with companies house just to rent out their drive?
Of course they haven't. It's not a commercial business, it's a private agreement.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I don't think HMRC would agree, they would want their cut Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yes, that would make it part of the "Black Economy" I should guess as unearned income.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I also wonder what view your home insurer would take Undecided  This needs looking into.