Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rename the BBC?

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

Rename the BBC?

Having a few spare moments, I just looked at the BBC 'Top Stories' on the iPad, and it struck me that it was about time it was renamed to the DPBS - Depressed Pessimistic Broadcasting Service - I couldn't find one item that was presented in a manner guaranteed to make me want to explore further without depressing me.

I am aware there are other sources, but I'm guessing they would all be similar - is this an attempt to induce mass hysteria?

John
5 REPLIES 5
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Re: Rename the BBC?

They simply want to copy what the press are doing and get viewers attention with these type of stories, however does part of the fault not lie with the viewer ?

Are most people more attracted to bad news stories in case the contents might apply to them in some way ? Of course I do not know if this is the case but I suspect the BBC may have some way of monitoring which stories viewers using the internet access more frequently, therefore concentrating more on those type of stories.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

No news is good news

Good news is Bad news

Bad news is Good news    

( It increases the circulation of the press. or interest in the news broadcasters. )

I stopped watching the news on telly a couple of years ago... Most of the news I get, comes from this forum, which has much more interesting stuff going on, and the odd "bad news"  doesn`t depress me ..

Yeah... I flick through the DM on line...but just read the headline on each item, and don`t go further if it doesn`t interest me...  99% of the time, it doesn`t,... and I only do it if I can`t think of something else to break up the boredom.... !  !

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

We already have an LBC,  but how about LLBC - Loony Left Broadcasting Company...

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Check out BBC viewing for any day on any channel and see just how many repeats there are - and that's aside from those niche programmes for such things tennis, pop, charity events, cricket.... 

Now that's depressing, and should make us all pessimistic. 

Sure we don't have to watch, but sure we have to pay for not doing so. At least Dick Turpin was decent enough to wear a mask when he robbed us without recourse.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

As I haven't worked out how to multi-quote.

@gleneagles 0bviously I must be strange, because it doesn't work on me.

@wotsup Thumbs_Up

@shutter No news = impossible, good news = it is, but the BBC don't like it, bad news = depression, and it doesn't encourage me to look further.

@Minivanman I know, which is why my TV tends to stay off about 85% of my waking hours. However, this thread was specifically aimed at BBC 'Top Stories' on the app - see my reply to @shutter  I do agree with your last sentence, though.

John