cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remploy

tinto
Grafter

Remploy

The government proposes to shut 36 out of 54 Remploy factories across the UK, putting more than 1500 workers, the vast majority of whom are disabled, out of work, because they aren't making a profit.  Remploy was set up after the Second World War to provide employment for disabled ex service personnel, and allow them to maintain their dignity and self esteem by earning their own living, and the scheme was later expanded to include disabled civilians.  It 's nigh impossible to put a price on what having a job means to these workers, but the closures come after a review by a carefully selected charity with a long history of opposition to sheltered employment, whose spokeswoman claimed on TV that they could use the money saved to place ten times that number of disabled workers in employment.  20 of those facing the sack are in one of the factories to be closed, two or three miles from where I live In North Lanarkshire.  Just now there are already 25 unemployed able bodied men and women chasing each vacancy here, so I beg leave to doubt this woman's claim.
A petition calling on the Government to stop the closure of Remploy facories and to restructure the agency has been launched on the internet.  if it gets 100,000 signatures it could lead to a Parliamentary debate on the closures.
It's at
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/13992.
Sorry, I'm rotten at creating links here so you'll have to copy and paste to your address bar.

9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Remploy

The government say they'll help the displaced people look for another job, but they do not seem to realise that Remploy provides a sympathetic working environment to those who may not be able to face the pressures of a typical workplace. I'm sure those Remploy employees would much prefer to be do useful work in a social environment rather than sitting at home alone on benefits.
If the Government guaranteed that each displaced person is found long term suitable employment I might believe their statement of good intentions.
There are better ways of saving public money! Starting with those who cheat our immigration system and expect to receive benefits as a right.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Your link worked OK, no trouble.
community
Grafter

I was glad to see this petition and happy to add my signature.
I was shocked to hear of this government's proposal and the feeble attempt to offer other work...wihtout guarantee AND most importantly a workplace environment suitable to our disabled brethren.
I hope many more will add their agreement.
Note: I am not disabled and I do not have any family who are unfortunately disabled........so my signature stems from caring for my fellow men and women.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

More than happy to add my signature.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Also added my signature.
The average working person is often put under considerable pressure to meet targets so what chance will the majority of disabled stand to keep a job, assuming they even get a job in the first place.
I Never cease to be amazed at the number of things a government could do to save money such as reducing the number of quangos but instead of doing so try to save money by picking on the most vulnerable in society. 
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

A well argued case, tinto, highlighting a despicable proposal by the government.
Petition signed.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Signed.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
jmd
Grafter

signed.
When I worked in the JobCentre in the 80s I spent a while working with disabled people to place them in our local Remploy or a local authority sheltered workshop.  Those who went to work in these places were generally  not capable of work in a normal factory as it would have been too stressful for them.  Unfortunately the local authority sponsored worksop was closed down and those who were made redundant then became reliant on benefits as they could not get other work.  I would hate to see this happen to all those who work in Remploy.
nadger
Rising Star

I recall buying Remploy electric fire when we were first married in 1965.
Have gladly signed petition