cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removed threads

Fixes: 596

Removed threads

We have taken the decision to remove a number of threads from this board.

All threads, whilst they may have been started in good faith, have received multiple moderator reports from many parties.

As it’s Chat we try and take a lighter touch than other areas of the forum and try to let threads be.

Unfortunately this doesn’t seem to be working anymore and we feel no other option than to take a sterner view.

I fully expect there are those that think this is too heavy handed or it’s not enough. We know we can’t win and as some can’t or won’t help themselves or us this action has been taken.

We are sad that it’s had to come to this, but feel we’ve been left with no other option.

Ongoing tighter rule enforcement will be in place.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
44 REPLIES 44
TTman
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Removed threads

@dvorak  Wondered what had happened . Have been away since friday so have been catching up and was half way thro a thread and suddenly was locked out. wondered what id done!!!! See why it was done thoSmiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Best thing that could happen. A board like this is no place for political or personal abuse. 

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

I agree with @nozzer as for his second sentence, but would rather the Mods had taken action against the principal offenders.

Their action is like a teacher saying, who let off that stink bomb? The whole class will write 200 lines.

It's so easy in comparison with action requiring dealing with the culprits.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

In a school-themed manner, I was taught in primary school by a teacher this, and a lot of people here need to learn it;

If you haven't got anything better to say or do, DON'T BOTHER!

Community Veteran

Keeping with that theme I don't own the playground so I accept I have no say in its running but it would be nice if the removed threads could be listed.

It would save me yet more time wasted in having to look.

jab1
Hero
Fixes: 19

@Luzern wrote:

I agree with @nozzer as for his second sentence, but would rather the Mods had taken action against the principal offenders.

Their action is like a teacher saying, who let off that stink bomb? The whole class will write 200 lines.

Sadly, @Luzern , if posters behave like children, they deserve to be treated as such. There have been quite a number of topics recently where I personally have ignored them because they descended into abuse, and I considered them a waste of bandwidth.

John
Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

@jab1 wrote:

@Luzern wrote:

Sadly, @Luzern , if posters behave like children, they deserve to be treated as such. 

@jab1 I agree, but  the Mods' solution hits the innocent, and the minimally guilty as well, so is like that of a class teacher punishing all. 

The Mods know the congenital insulters, some of whom seem to get a great number of thanks from their allies too, It's not all one sided though, as without naming any there have been those, who have somewhat repetitive in posts, and overgenerous with their mottos at the base of their posts. It does become boring. IMO mottos should be pithy and not confrontational.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

@Luzern 

How so? It's only those who resort to abuse who will get penalised in the future. If you don't do it nothing will change for you.

Fixes: 596

@Luzern wrote:

I disagree, no one has been punished and as many posters on here have said the threads had degenerated and were of no value to anyone. 

I view it more of a clearing away of detritus and giving everyone a chance for a clean start full in the knowledge that going forward there will be less leniency.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@Luzern wrote:

... but would rather the Mods had taken action against the principal offenders.

Just because it wasn't announced in the OP we can only assume that is the case ... 

Just seen the latest post from dvorak 

I can remember times at school when not having done our homework, I (and others) used to borrow that of someone else for copying purposes.  I guess with modern technology it would even be possible to copy lines written by another person.  Cheesy

Community Veteran

I have to admit I'm disappointed but not surprised.

Disappointed as the threads finish line was nearly here anyway.

I can imagine that there would have been a lot of complaints on those threads, whatever the unnamed threads were, but I would also imagine most would be malicious complaints.

The mods would know the difference wouldn't they?

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 8

Why not just lock them and leave them as a gift to historians of the future (or nosy new members)?

I was worried when I discovered that we'd no longer have christmas, but glad I'm now less likely to be Rob'ed.

I shan't miss getting home from work and finding that half a dozen pages of posts have been added to the same thead in the past 24 hours, some of which are just reposts of the same arguments and photos with random double, triple, and quadruple spacing.

Community Veteran

I am sorry the mods have taken this course of action - it's the simple way out.

2 of the threads were started by me and attracted record numbers of posts. I think the correct action would be for the threads to be locked temporarily and the offending posters dealt with. Mods seem reluctant to deal with offenders individually. Why? Get rid of one or maybe two posters and that would solve the problem. We all know who they are and banning them would be a positive move. Maybe the mods would reconsider their actions in this matter.

The Brexit thread is a very relevant thread and posters should be given the opportunity to comment on such an important subject. 

Can the mods please reconsider the way they have acted on this matter.

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@artmo 

I suspect the Brexit thread has not been deleted, so your record for a high number of posts is probably safe in case you're worried that you've lost it.  Wink