cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote car keys are daft

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Remote car keys are daft

A couple of weeks ago I lost one of the wireless car keys for my Audi. After a 10 day wait and £240 later I now have a replacement key.  I used an Auto-locksmith as the Audi garage wanted even more.  In the good old days you'd go to a car parts store quote the key number and get a replacement over the counter for a couple of quid.

The wireless keys are not a lot more secure, as a car thief equipped with the right box can bypass the security in less than a minute.  You still have to carry a key around.  When will cars have passwords?

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
26 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Remote car keys are daft

AlaricAdair wrote:
When will cars have passwords?

Back in the days when cars were more "traditional", there was a simple modification that could be done to prevent someone driving off in your car, a hidden ignition switch, so they could hotwire all they liked, but it'd still be dead as a dodo without the hidden switch turned on... Grin

Community Veteran

My older brother did that hidden switch thing using a hidden reed switch and a magnet. He worked in a garage and was adept at finding the hidden switches in other peoples' cars.

Very cunning until he drove over a pothole and the magnet dropped into the footwell. One suddenly immobilised engine. I still remind him about his genius.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Hero

I had a real headache and an expensive one at that when my car was immobilized because of an over-smart key,

The vehicle had to be breakdown recovered from the roadside - and we all know what a hassle that can be. It was then off the road while a main dealer garage stripped it down, decided a part needed replacing on the engine block somewhere of all places, charged me £700 .... when it was the actual key causing the problem. "Yep, all done" said the garage here in the UK, only to find myself stuck on the Paris orbital nine hours later. Got my money back from those useless robbers but not my time, not my travel costs from overseas, not my car hire, and no compensation for loss of work I had scheduled.

Technology too far in my opinion. I felt like dumping the car along with those garage 'mechanics' in the canal so great was my frustration at the time - and all because of that damned key! 

PS. Finally got the car back to a little main dealer garage near Sancerre where the owner shrugged his shoulders French style and said "Mais oui, always a problem with these keys on this model!  Grrrr.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
PowerLee
Rising Star

PSA Peugeot / Citroen used to fit a keypad immobilizer system where a 4 digit pin code was required before the engine would start.
The system also only gave 3 attempts at entering the correct code before locking out for 30 minutes.

You could also set a 2nd service pin code to lend the car to a garage / friend but it wouldnt allow them to fiddle with the keypad settings without revealing your own pin.

The 2 reasons the system got dropped & transponder chipped keys replaced it where.

1) People where just to lazy to change the factory default pin code of 1 1 1 1

2) People got annoyed with it taking a few seconds to enter the code so once unlocked with the pin code they disconnected the keypad to stop the system rearming, great until the battery went flat & it required the pin code again.

The fault with modern cars security is the EU insisting on third party garage access in to the cars electrical systems via the EOBD port.
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

There are downsides to legacy methods of opening and closing doors, that could be embarrassing. One time when I was out in the office car, on my return after a visit I went to a car- same colour and make, and opened the door. No until I opened the hatch and found a child buggy, did I realise it was not our car. Ours was three or four down. OTOH replacement keys were simple and cheap. 

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Much better when all you needed was a simple key and a steering wheel lock that you fitted each time you parked the car,

can't see them driving that far with one of those fitted.

Sure they might nick something out of the car but in my case I didn't have anything to nick !

I'm all for the time when a condenser and set of points plus the odd spark plug was enought to get you going again, these days you need a good sized wallet to get you back on the road.

Smiley

Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

We mislaid our spare A4 key after 3mths we decided it was time to get a spare as it obviously wasn't going to turn up.

£125 for the key & £57, (to have it synced with the old one) later - we returned home. I went into an outside shed and there sat on the side was our 'spare' ....aghhhh...........now useless of course unless we forked out again to have all 3 re-synced!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

gleneagles wrote:
can't see them driving that far with one of those fitted.

Back in the 90s, some tea leaf did just that, and promptly crashed into my dad's work van (and was lucky to survive, that van was totalled) cos the guy couldn't steer properly, and apparently the steering lock in the column also engaged on the road, so thieves did try to take cars with them fitted, but only succeeded in causing misery for others...

Minivanman
Hero

12524006_10153341720994157_1161723766878309026_n.jpg

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Presumably you are trying to be racist?

Minivanman
Hero

It was sent on to me by a lovely lady and lifetime friend of Irish heritage (she often sends them to me) but I guess that's OK so please, don't make the world more crazy and difficult than it already is.

Are you offended? Well you know what, I don't piggin care. Sheesh Crazy2 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I'm not sure there is anything more dafter than A ford bonnet key lock that is so flimsy that either the cable snaps or the anti theft mechanism dissengages, or even the plastic bit that goes into to the latch mechanism gets brittle and breaks after a period.

Awesome headache to get this little lot sorted!

And just to add, mine had already broken once and had been so poorly repaired that it broke again leaving me to fix it properly at the expense of a new grill (which was needlessly broken) and lock mechanism for £100 or so.

As for keys, I can program them for free with my laptop and some free software.

The keys with fobs are not hugely expensive if you look around.

Fixes: 47

I had to pay that substantial amount to get my Focus bonnet lock fixed Angry

Very common problem according to forums I read.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

@Strat lets hope they did a proper job with the lock and didn't just put a new plastic bit in!

Locks are £58 and have to be rebuilt from scratch which was quiet entertaining if I'm honest.