cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote access door entry systems by Housing Authourity Good or bad Idea

TORPC
Grafter

Remote access door entry systems by Housing Authourity Good or bad Idea

My Housing Authority is starting to future proof their block of Flats / Maisonettes etc with new door entry systems which in case you lose you key fob they can remote access via a mobile phone and you have immediate access to the whole block, without the seeing who you are & signing proof of ID etc.
I say they are potentially open to abuse by disgruntled staff / neighbourhood hackers etc
What is your take on that idea ?Huh
I am having a meeting to find out more in the morning
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Remote access door entry systems by Housing Authourity Good or bad Idea

"ohh!  i'm your local baddie, therefore i am all for it"  kinda defeats the purpose of having the thing in the first place.  some bright ideas don't stand up to the light of day.
Fixes: 47

The one I have some experience of has a service button which allows access to anyone between about 8am to midday.
If I need access any other time I have a key fob.
I'm not sure what the free access time is all about as deliveries can be any time up to 6pm and leaflets get dropped in a pile outside the main door.
No doubt the residents have other opinions.
One resident I have spoken too feels a little more secure with the system installed.
With regard to remote access being granted, people have dialled one flat number and when the resident answers the visitor says they are leaving a letter for another flat but there is no answer.
They are then let in.
So remote access not needed for some bad guys.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
TORPC
Grafter

They phoned & postponed as 1 of the team (the one I spoke to yesterday) are all of a sudden taken ill so that same person will phone me tomorrow to arrange another meeting
Have they not heard of Skype et al meeting(s) ?Huh
Why am I not surprised
Devonian
Grafter

During y working day I come across many of these, in different Authority areas of Devon.
Some have a service button which allows access between 8 and midday...  what's the point of having a secure system just to leave it unlocked?
Others will be connected to a control room, you buzz, hold up your ID and tell them why you need entry and they let you in.
Others contact my depot manager to check my ID.
Others buzz me in without question.
Others still just refuse access.
I wont say which authority does what incase any naughty people read it, but the best system I have come across is North Devon District Council.
They hold my ID on file, so I buzz, give them my name, and they let me in.
tazmaniandevil
Grafter

If, and it is a big if, they install the correct type of system it is quite secure. There is normally a dial in number which asks for a PIN. These PINs are unique to each flat and can therefore identify who is using the service. I have also installed systems where a PIN can be used in place of a key fob on the front panel, and others where a CCTV camera is triggered each time a flat is buzzed. In these cases, action can be taken against anyone allowing an unidentified person access to the block.
I would approach them with a barrage of questions regarding the type of system they intend installing, the capabilities of the system and what action they will take against tenants/residents abusing the facility. Another important question would be system sustainability in the event of a prolonged power outage.
Devonian
Grafter

Mind you, te best system is to actually be home and answer the door when you order something!  Angry
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

rather than a remote via mobile system it would be better if they simply installed a cctv linked system utilising facial recognition, everyone authorised to enter could then be put on the system and no worry about lost key fobs, so long as they use full face algorithm its quite secure and cant be overridden when in a closed loop standalone installation, very effective and having individual flat buzzers with vid screen makes it safer for residents as well.
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
itsme
Grafter

Rule of thumb if the letterboxes are outside no Trade Button if inside Trade Button. Most Trade Buttons work from 8 to 1pm some all day.
TORPC
Grafter

Thank guys & gals
No intergrated CCTV so will still have to guess the face when callers are for other neighbors Sad
Devonian
Grafter

I can't figure out why people spend thousands on these systems, just put in a trade button to unlock the door any way.  Huh
TORPC
Grafter

They are still going ahead wit the remote system that can be accessed by a mobile device, however the twist is
Each Tenant will be given 2 key fobs that are different colors
In the event that  tenant leaves their key fob behind or loses it / them they can be remotely let in the block but not their flat
I still think it is a bad idea
But they wont listen (until it is to late) which is typical of Housing Authorities & Councils et al alike