cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reminicing again

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Reminicing again

I was trying to explain how much simpler things were in my childhood to my granddaughter the other day. Do you remember a give-away toy that was issued with comics such as Beano and Dandy. I think it was called a Whizz Bang?? it consisted of a piece of card folded to form a long triangle, inside was another fold of brown-paper glued to the card.
When flicked sharply the brown paper would open out with a loud "bang" We used to have great fun creeping up behind our contemporaries giving them a fright. Something to do with the brown paper opening out at exceeding the speed of sound.
Granddaughter, retired to her room and computer looking slightly bemused.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
53 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Reminicing again

I remember those.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Used to make my own, piece of paper, just two folds (and no 'apps' to install).
Also remember taking a large blade of grass holding it between my thumbs and blowing through it (kind of a rasping/bussing 'whistle') - or a comb and greaseproof paper for a 'harmonica'.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
randpwar
Grafter

Tracing paper wrapped around a comb then blown, anyone?
Community Veteran

I used to collect lots of those sort of things back then. Just found this in the bottom of an old box in my cupboard.

beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Strat
I remember those.

+1
Quote from: randpwar
Tracing paper wrapped around a comb then blown, anyone?

+1
Quote from: w23
Also remember taking a large blade of grass holding it between my thumbs and blowing through it (kind of a rasping/bussing 'whistle')

+1 (though better with a privet leaf)

Never thought of a privet leaf...found a decent blade of grass to suffice.
I offered my wife a comb and paper instrument but she couldn't handle it as it tickled too much....forerunner of the Kazoo.
Community Veteran

What about simple things like going out with your friends and saying "I'll be back for tea" and getting a smile and a wave.
No questions, no contact, just "out".

Or going down the road to a local shop without a key as you didn't need to lock your door because next door neighbours were watching who came up the passage.
I fancy getting a whip and top just to see if I can still do it.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Petlew
When flicked sharply the brown paper would open out with a loud "bang"

Yes, I remember those.
My favourite 'bang maker' was the metal 'bomb', comprising two parts with a percussion cap between them, held together with a rubber band. I see there's an updated version available on Amazon. Note that the packaging states "SHOULD BE USED UNDER ADULT SUPERVISION".  Roll eyes
I seem to remember creating some decent bangs with a leaf - elm possibly? One made a circle with thumb and forefinger, then pushed the centre of the leaf through, such that the edges of the leaf still covered the circle. Then the flat palm of the other hand was slammed hard against the circle, rupturing the leaf and creating (sometimes) a bang.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

Scoobydoo's, mostly by the girls, although I remember a few boys doing them as well; four or six lengths of thin plastic line folded and linked over itself to form a long square or octagon of multi-coloured blocks. I've actually seen one of these recently on my school coach.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.

Ah...cap bombs. Kids these days would require it to contain a C4 charge.
Community Veteran

Marbles played in the road-side gutter. It was mostly safe to do so then.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Strat
Ah...cap bombs. Kids these days would require it to contain a C4 charge.

Had to make our own, a couple of short 1/2" bolts and a nut and a load of the red bits scraped off some Swan Vestas matches!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Across the road cricket with the wickets chalked on the walls, we used to play two innings test matches over several days like that.
Very occasional car would interrupt play. More often than not a driver would stop so a ball (tennis) could be bowled.